Respected Contributor

Re: THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW" JOAN BENNETT, EDWARD G. ROBINSON SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN TCM

Thanks. I did a voice search using the title and it popped up. It's ready to record.

And now a guilty pleasure: The Spanish Main. A Maureen O'Hara, Paul Henried.

Honored Contributor

Re: THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW" JOAN BENNETT, EDWARD G. ROBINSON SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN TCM

Sorry, @lavendar

My mistake.  I was totally misreading the timing.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I was reading about Dan Duryea, Had to laugh when I read  -

"The heel with sex appeal." --From his obituary in The New York Times, June 8, 1968.

I never thought he had sex appeal. I just thought he always seemed to play "the bad guy" role so well. That every time he appeared on the scene - there was going to be trouble.

Trusted Contributor

I, too, thought that it was the same film as I had remembered that Robinson's name in the movie was Chris so I read the movie description and decided to tape it..  Isn't that funny that the same three stars are in the movie in similar characters. They are all great too so hopefully I get to watch that today.  Enjoy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now that I've seen it, I understand why it gained such respect.

Admittedly it took two tries, as I kept falling asleep.  I am glad for the Sunday morning repeat showing.  

Aside from the story, the twist, and the (I thought) great camera work, I was struck by how modern Joan Bennett's apartment was.  Everything from the bathroom to the bedroom to that striking fireplace surrounded by mirrors - all the better to reflect a smirking Dan Duryea.

Image result for the woman in the window

I seem to recall having a Joan Bennett paper doll back in the day.  I could be wrong, so I did some online checking to see if they existed.  I didn't find what I might have had, but I did find "Film Noir Paper Dolls."  The lady on the left is, I think, meant to be Joan Bennett.  They only call her "Doll 2."  From Paper Studio Press and on amazon.

We could have a whole thread on movie star paper dolls.

Image result for joan bennett paperdolls

Honored Contributor

Cool!  Imagine a whole separate "genre" of paper dolls called "film noir", ha.

The film was a bit different from my memories of the fragments I'd seen in the past.  Candidly, it didn't quite engage me as much as other Fritz Lang outings.  For some reason, the whole intense "we've got to hide the body",  "we've got to stick together or hang together",  the cat and mouse with the police,  that element always wears me out.  It does even in "The Postman Always Rings Twice" and the great "Double Indemnity"...

But I loved the cinematography, and these particular actors, and all the aforementioned ambiance of set decoration and costumes!

Honored Contributor

Not sure why they choose to show the movie at midnight. I kept falling asleep. I finally just turned it off. Then today promptly at noon I turned on TCM to see........ Blood and Sand - OOPS!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Cool!  Imagine a whole separate "genre" of paper dolls called "film noir", ha.

The film was a bit different from my memories of the fragments I'd seen in the past.  Candidly, it didn't quite engage me as much as other Fritz Lang outings.  For some reason, the whole intense "we've got to hide the body",  "we've got to stick together or hang together",  the cat and mouse with the police,  that element always wears me out.  It does even in "The Postman Always Rings Twice" and the great "Double Indemnity"...

But I loved the cinematography, and these particular actors, and all the aforementioned ambiance of set decoration and costumes!

@Oznell

I love that you mentioned the part I've highlighted in red.  I also thought that was the weakest part of the whole storyline.  I was getting bored with those parts, too.  Maybe that's one reason why I kept falling asleep.

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell@drizzellla@GingerPeach

I love this movie but, I, too, get it mixed up with “Scarlet Street”. 

All the performances were terrific.  Of course, Robinson and Bennett and Dan Duryea so wonderfully slimy.

I enjoyed the scenes/interactions with Robinson, Massey and Breon.  Unlike you, @Oznell, I think I might have preferred had the ending been the more “noire-ish” one though!  (I’ll have to read the book)

Love the cars, clothes and the sets of the men’s club and Joan Bennett’s apartment.

One of the things I found weird was in Joan Bennett’s apartment. Everything looks so modern and well-cared for Except the sofa. Those seat cushions look squished, mashed down and well-worn!  Seemed strange compared to the rest of the apartment.    

@GingerPeach thanks for the paper doll info. I had a set with the “How to Marry a Millionaire” girls. (Bacall. Grable, Monroe)

I loved paper dolls. 

(Some I had were on very stiff cardboard with plastic holders so they stood easily.)

Honored Contributor

@trenet, thanks for that reminder-- you're right, the scenes with the three pals in their club and elsewhere, were excellent and added to the "texture" of the story...