Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "SCAPEGOAT" DAVID JANSSEN, HARRY TOWNES MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

fugep50sc18b.jpg

2:00 a.m. Eastern--  The Fugitive "Scapegoat"  David Janssen, Harry Townes, Dianne Foster, Whit Bissell, John Anderson, Don Quine, David Macklin

Kimble is dumbfounded to learn that a former employer of his in a South Dakota town has been accused of his "murder",  after the two of them fought, and Kimble sensibly fled the locale.  Although no body was found, the assumption in town was that the thoroughly detestable employer, "Briggs" (John Anderson), did away with Kimble, who at the time was calling himself "Eddie Fry".   Here he is with Briggs' anguished housekeeper "Janice Cummings" (Dianne Foster).

fugep50sc30b.jpg

Now, knowing Kimble as we do, we all know what he will do next.  The problem is, this script couldn't make me care, overly much.  Once again (to me) this episode is ill-conceived, riddled with too many flashbacks, and populated by overwrought, unbelievable characters.    (Tell me, oznell, how do you really feel about it, ha).

Must insert the usual disclaimer, that by no means do I want to suggest that others will feel the same way about it--  am actually hoping the discussion turns up good aspects I've missed! 

I do like yeoman actor Harry Townes, ("Ballinger"), who plays the defense attorney here, or should I say 'actor-slash-Episcopal priest' Harry Townes.  How cool that he had a dual career like that?  Although, I do believe he did not embark upon his theological path until later...   He's skillful, and I love the shadowed, 'lived-in', but handsome planes of his face...

fugep50sc44b.jpg

Am thinking that both Don Quine and Whit Bissell are repeat Fuge alums-- and David Macklin is a familiar face, but not sure if that is from "The Fugitive",  or not. 

Here's the episode streaming free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9WBGkniPxU

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "SCAPEGOAT" DAVID JANSSEN, HARRY TOWNES MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

@Oznell Yes. Harry Townes was in Tug of War. Remember he was the general store keeper (wearing eyeglasses) when the little girl eating ice cream recognized Kimble in the Wanted poster. He played chess with Arthur O'Connell a retired deputy with a heart problem (who "loses" his nitro pills). O'Connell wants to capture Kimble but believes him in the end that Kimble was innocent and as he dies shows Kimble he hid bullets in his hand. Townes agrees to play chess after O'Connell's funeral with the minister.

Quine too is definitely in TF.  I can't remember which though.

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "SCAPEGOAT" DAVID JANSSEN, HARRY TOWNES MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

Tug of War  one of the episodes that caused me to make a complete 360 degree turn.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tique wrote:

Tug of War  one of the episodes that caused me to make a complete 360 degree turn.

@Tique  How so? Do you mean it was one you didn't want to watch again but the more we talked about it, the more you did?

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee  at first I didn't care for it but I watched it a second time and then a third for the memorable exchange. Each time I saw it, I liked it more. Kept seeing/hearing things I didn't see/hear before. This was one we really dissected.

Honored Contributor

My daddy looked just like David Jansen.  My mother used to watch The Fugitive and have a love-hate relationship with him for that reason.  They had been divorced for a long time but she still loved-hated him.

Honored Contributor

Oh, that's right about Harry Townes, @Pearlee -- had forgotten that scene.  Maybe he was in other episodes too?  Now that I think of it, somewhere, I thought I read he was in multiple (like, more than two, even) episodes, but may have imagined that!

@Tique,  your comment about that old episode is interesting.  The power of revisiting something, and you see and understand things about it more and more.  In the course of your searching for memorable excerpts, you've probably experienced that phenomenon more than once...

@Nonametoday,  that is very poignant about your mother's relationship to the show.  I can see how she would have very mixed feelings.  And by the way, your father, resembling David Janssen as he did, must have been a very handsome man. 

Honored Contributor

Gosh, my curiosity drove me to look it up--  wiki says that Harry Townes made no fewer than SEVEN appearances each, on both "Gunsmoke" and "The Fugitive".  I wonder if seven times is a record for a guest star on "Fuge"....

Honored Contributor

Yesterday morning I had watched ~ 30 minutes of an episode before I realized it was the wrong one. The good thing is I'm half-way ready for next week and I know the answer to a riddle about a picture.

When I went back to watch the correct episode it was the first time I didn't see the scene dividers "Act I thru IV or Epilog". Didn't like that. Amazing how you get used to little things/take them for granted and then when they aren't there, you miss them.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Do you think Whit Bissell resembles J.D. Cannon? 

When I saw Bissell in this, at first glance I thought it was Cannon who is in TF 2-part finale and I didn't think he was in any other episodes.Then I realized it was Bissell.