Valued Contributor

Re: SyFy's Face Off - Season 7

Finally watched the episode last night, it was really a lot of fun! I enjoyed seeing the judges in "normal human" mode instead of wearing their judges hats, though I think Ve is Ve, no matter whatSmile. Love her philosophy of "Never enough evil queens!"

Who knew that Glenn was a big softie?! Not only did he play for NorthShore Animal League, he said he had two cats and they were the center of his life!

It was great to see the returning contestants although they weren't featured too much. Kind of wish this was a 1 1/2 - 2 hour episode so we could have seen more of the creating. Ve's rook was hardly shown at all (we saw maybe 10 seconds of whatever Roy was creating for that rook) and I would have liked to have seen the back of the queen's head after she added the red hair. I would have liked to have seen all the creations in more detail, Since they were judging, they could have had them get up one group at a time and examine the others' creations up close.

Did it seem to you like each judge had one creation that was more successful? Glenn's horse was large, but that was all that I could tell. His king looked pretty amazing. Ve's queen was beautiful, but couldn't tell a lot about the rook (although I thought his face sculpt was really good). And Neville's bishop was interesting to look at, but don't you think if they were judging they would have faulted him for it just being a mask. Was the bishop intended to be blind like Mr. Westmore thought? I don't remember Neville saying that and it looked like he had some kind of eyes.

I thought Neville's pawn was a total success and that it was the pawn and his backstory that won him the competition. He played into his SciFi strength by coming up with his story- that was really smartSmile

Next episode looks interesting - killer instincts? I wonder what the challenge is - the sneak peak was not really very informative this time - reindeer, clowns and bad wigs?{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

I finally watched it last night, also, and enjoyed it. Aside from having the judges compete, it was also cool that they had a bunch of the best contestants from past episodes.

Valued Contributor

I saw the episode last night (9/9, Killer Instinct) and I was kind of meh about it, not because it wasn’t good, but because horror is not my thing. Ironically, it this genre that usually gets these makeup artists started, most of them just love it.

I thought George’s (Axe Girlfriend) was very good as was Cig’s Second Chumming and Rachel’s Bone Appetit. Out of the Top 3 I probably liked hers the best because it was less gory, but I really liked Stella’s Trophy Room creation the best. Damien’s Buzzcut was also well done, but too bloody for me (that pulled-back scalp!)

Poor Sasha – I don’t know what she was thinking and she didn’t either. She was lucky she was saved and I hope it gives her confidence a boost. Dina’s reindeer was a great idea, but the sculpt was not successful. Keaghlan’s prom queen was also a really good idea, but she needed more time to perfect it.

What did you guys think? Are you horror fans? What do you think of the judges saving Sasha?

(Typed this on Word and cannot find a good font and font size. Sorry if this is a little big)

Valued Contributor

OK, well, watched tonight's episode (9/18, Serpent Soldiers) and I fell asleep in the middle of judging, guess that says it all{#emotions_dlg.laugh} Have no idea who won and saw Keaghlan lose, don't remember anything about what she did, just heard the judges say it didn't look like a snake. Too bad - she is talented for sure, she created an absolutely gorgeous "life" creature on the first episode (pic doesn't do it justice, but you get the idea):

Esteemed Contributor

Last night's episode was a good one! Thought the top three entries were really great work!! Am not so sure that the loser was the right pick, there were others that were very poor work!!

Valued Contributor

I think I better go back and watch in on the On Demand - I basically missed it except for when they were sketching

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/5/2014 mewsmomtoo said:

Finally watched the episode last night, it was really a lot of fun! I enjoyed seeing the judges in "normal human" mode instead of wearing their judges hats, though I think Ve is Ve, no matter whatSmile. Love her philosophy of "Never enough evil queens!"

Who knew that Glenn was a big softie?! Not only did he play for NorthShore Animal League, he said he had two cats and they were the center of his life!

It was great to see the returning contestants although they weren't featured too much. Kind of wish this was a 1 1/2 - 2 hour episode so we could have seen more of the creating. Ve's rook was hardly shown at all (we saw maybe 10 seconds of whatever Roy was creating for that rook) and I would have liked to have seen the back of the queen's head after she added the red hair. I would have liked to have seen all the creations in more detail, Since they were judging, they could have had them get up one group at a time and examine the others' creations up close.

Did it seem to you like each judge had one creation that was more successful? Glenn's horse was large, but that was all that I could tell. His king looked pretty amazing. Ve's queen was beautiful, but couldn't tell a lot about the rook (although I thought his face sculpt was really good). And Neville's bishop was interesting to look at, but don't you think if they were judging they would have faulted him for it just being a mask. Was the bishop intended to be blind like Mr. Westmore thought? I don't remember Neville saying that and it looked like he had some kind of eyes.

I thought Neville's pawn was a total success and that it was the pawn and his backstory that won him the competition. He played into his SciFi strength by coming up with his story- that was really smartSmile

Next episode looks interesting - killer instincts? I wonder what the challenge is - the sneak peak was not really very informative this time - reindeer, clowns and bad wigs?{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

mewsmomtoo,

I disagree about the pawn. My reason is relative to the face which was done in foam, which was very discernable from a camera that was not close up. I could tell, even though I had seen it, that the face was foam and it was roughly finished or, perhaps, not quite completed. It just didn't work for me.

I believe Neville's bishop to have been an alien extrapolation of the chess piece, given Neville's experience in creating alien beings. However, I thought the red applied over the black/silver/gunmetal could have been done better. It looked as though it had been applied in a hurry.

Regards - R

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/17/2014 corita said:

Last night's episode was a good one! Thought the top three entries were really great work!! Am not so sure that the loser was the right pick, there were others that were very poor work!!

I almost would have agreed with you until Glenn said that her creation didn't look anything like a snake or serpent. No snake - no go. I got it at that point. (If she had only done something with the snout!!!!!)

Even the artist given a pass last week could very well have been given the heave-ho, but at least her creation had a look of snake.

Esteemed Contributor

We're just about down to the wire now and I continue to be impressed with Dina Cimarusti's artistic approach, level of maturity and simply nailing the challenge nearly every week.

Her creation on 10/7 was a masterpiece. I believe her success is due to a gift of conceptualizing and following through with even the most minute detail.

Delightful!

Valued Contributor

Oh, Dina's creation was absolutely magnificent. I couldn't take my eyes off her. Plus the model carried it off perfectly.