Honored Contributor

Re: SyFy's Face Off - Season 7

Corita - I really love that about this show too! I guess I'm not the targeted audience for competition shows because I don't like the drama, back-biting, btchiness, etc, of a lot of competition shows. I also really appreciate good sportsmanship.

This season is a little on the blah side so far, so I hope to see some of them really step up. Mackenzie Westmore looks amazing, as always. I've been a fan since Passions. I also miss seeing Ve every week.

Valued Contributor

Hi Corita and Chickenbutt, I have to agree that I like that they have elected to concentrate on the makeup aspect and not on what was happening at the house - the makeup is so much more interesting. Corita, that is a great idea, holding the hat in her hand-problem solved!

I'm not sure what channel it is on (maybe Travel), but do you ever watch the shows about the company that makes Halloween props and masks? It is interesting to watch them come up with an idea and then bring it to life. They usually have about 5-6 shows that come on the last of September/first of October. It is a limited run every year.

Also, I was watching a movie the other day (might have been All About Eve) and the credits showed Bud Westmore as having done the makeup so I started wondering about the Westmore family and googled them. Did you know that the Westmore family started the first dedicated makeup department for a movie company in 1917 and have not looked back since.

MacKenzie is a fourth generation Hollywood Westmore and has siblings or cousins (not sure which) who are doing makeup. The Westmores were a prolific family and had members in just about every studio in Hollywood.

Their "founder", George Westmore, had six sons that all went into makeup. He was a wigmaker, among other thing, and made a wig for Mary Pickford so that she didn't have to curl her hair everyday. One of the sons became Rudolf Valentino's sole makeup artist and then went on to work on the Gone With the Wind makeup where they say he worked himself to death.

They all founded together in the 30's a prominent hair salon called "House of Westmore" They have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Stars and there is also a George Westmore Research Library & Museum (http://westmoremuseum.wordpress.com). The website is a little weak, but it looks like someone is trying! Very interesting family. You can also look them up on Wikipedia under "Westmore Family"

Valued Contributor

I didn't get to watch the episode tonight! (9/2) I will have to watch it when it is available on the On Demand.

Did anyone else see this special ""judges compete"" episode? What did you think?

Honored Contributor

It was wonderful, amazing, fun. The creations were awesome. It was fun to see the judges work and to learn more about them as people. Also their banter was amusing and entertaining. Overall, a big WIN. The creations were amazing. I loved Ve's the best.

Esteemed Contributor

Loved last night's show - 9/2 !!! I think this episode was one of my all time favorites!! I thought all the creatures looked great, but maybe would not have awarded the top prize to Team xxxxx. I thought Ve's female looked great!! I enjoyed watching the teamwork and the kidding around between the teams! Have to say -- all the teams worked so well together!!

Honored Contributor

Mews - Thanks for all that interesting info about the Westmore family. I had no idea!

I haven't watched the current episode yet, with the judges competing, but am really looking forward to that one. I didn't read the last couple of posts just in case somebody spoiled it. Smiley Happy Hoping to get around to watching it today.

Honored Contributor

There is a spoiler!

CORITA, since Mews said she hasn't seen the episode maybe you could edit your post to take out the winner?

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/3/2014 LoriLori said:

There is a spoiler!

CORITA, since Mews said she hasn't seen the episode maybe you could edit your post to take out the winner?

Sorry...... {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Esteemed Contributor

Super "Judges" episode. Darn, I should have taped it!

Agree that it was so interesting to listen to the banter between teams and within teams. And, it was wonderful to hear the accolades provided.

All of the creations were wonderful and all for different reasons. I was somewhat surprised at the winner, but when I thought about it, reasoned it out. Wasn't my favorite.

You must watch it, if you haven't. A marvelous entry - a must!

Respected Contributor

I really liked watching the judges do a challenge.I did not,however, think the winner was the best.I don't want.t to post a spoiler . It was interesting to see the different styles of each judge. This is one of my fav shows because it's all about the makeup...NOT all the drama in the house and outside the actual studio workshop. I know Glen worked on Buffy the Vampire Slayer...great makeup.