Esteemed Contributor

Re: Survivor is back tonight!

Thanks @gardenman , it's always nice to see you too!

That's great news about The Amazing Race. I don't actually watch it but I know a lot of people really love it. I might too if I gave it a chance but somehow it seems I've just never been into it. If someone I knew and liked a lot was on it I might give it a try. Someday maybe. Anyway, good to know. 

Now on to other things like Richard Hatch. I have to disagree that no one cared he was gay. His own tribemate, Rudy Boesch, was unapologetically homophobic and practically had a coronary every time he saw Richard walking around the camp naked--which was often. It was widely discussed at the time in much the same way people are now discussing transgender contestants and getting to know their backstories.  

The big shock factor, if that's what you want to call it, was the close bond that eventually formed between Richard and the ex-Navy veteran Rudy. It was a very different and unusual relationship. The openly gay super-liberal man the ultra-conservative homophobe curmudgeon, lol. And regardless of their obvious differences and biases they formed a tight bond that lasted years after the show ended.

It was all the talk at the time and, if you will, that friendship was the teaching moment of season one. It was actually pretty cool to see. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've watched Survivor since the first season and while there are seasons I haven't enjoyed, it's usually because of dumb twists or too many boring/annoying people.  If there's no one left that I'm rooting for, it's hard for me to watch to the end.  My biggest annoyance with the game is when really good players get voted out early because they're a threat and we're left with a bunch of boring floaters. 

I don't quite understand why some people feel that CBS is lecturing people or pushing an agenda.  Sure, they focus more on back stories of people that might be more diverse, but I don't see what's wrong with that.  All competition reality shows like to focus on sad or out of the norm back stories.  While sometimes I wish they focused a little less on that, I get it.  Always easier to like/dislike someone when you know more about them.  

The world is a diverse place and I enjoy seeing people of all ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations. 

Trusted Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

Thanks @gardenman , it's always nice to see you too!

That's great news about The Amazing Race. I don't actually watch it but I know a lot of people really love it. I might too if I gave it a chance but somehow it seems I've just never been into it. If someone I knew and liked a lot was on it I might give it a try. Someday maybe. Anyway, good to know. 

Now on to other things like Richard Hatch. I have to disagree that no one cared he was gay. His own tribemate, Rudy Boesch, was unapologetically homophobic and practically had a coronary every time he saw Richard walking around the camp naked--which was often. It was widely discussed at the time in much the same way people are now discussing transgender contestants and getting to know their backstories.  

The big shock factor, if that's what you want to call it, was the close bond that eventually formed between Richard and the ex-Navy veteran Rudy. It was a very different and unusual relationship. The openly gay super-liberal man the ultra-conservative homophobe curmudgeon, lol. And regardless of their obvious differences and biases they formed a tight bond that lasted years after the show ended.

It was all the talk at the time and, if you will, that friendship was the teaching moment of season one. It was actually pretty cool to see. 

FYI, they both lived in the same town at that time....

Esteemed Contributor

I think my point is being made. 20 years ago Richard and Rudy were friends. That is why I wrote "No one cared that he was gay". Naked was the issue. We are all different, I like game play and ignore what Hollywood wants to educate me on. If you like the social warrior justice stuff you should be happy.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

"FYI, they both lived in the same town at that time...." @candyagain 

Thank you for that info @candyagain . All the talk about Richard and Rudy sent me down a bit of a rabbit's hole as I started thinking about season one and how interesting the players were. It turns out Richard and Rudy were friends until Rudy's death at age 91 in 2019. There's a lot of information about them out there.

Here is a tweet from Richard on Rudy's passing ~

"Ours was an interesting bond, Dear Rudy! You and I helped open minds and undermine prejudices. While your time here has passed, you will remain loved and iconic, dear friend!" 

When Richard talks about opening minds and undermining prejudices I guarantee he's not talking about the prejudice of being undressed. If anyone claims they actually believe that I'm more than happy to say let's agree to disagree.

If you read about Rudy you'd know that he cared very much that Richard was gay. He didn't like it, he made gay slurs both on tv and to his family (he talked about this in interviews). There were things Richard didn't like about Rudy as well but they got past it, learned to respect each other, and had a great friendship in spite of their differences.

When you think about it Survivor hasn't really changed all that much in the way that they highlighted players backstories on the show even back then. They only way I see that as being objectionable is if you truly just have no interest in other people and, if so, why are you watching a show that in a big way is about the people on it?

I find it funny that we learned so much about Mike Turner, the 58 yr old retired firefighter (I think he said 57 on the show) and how he worked 26 yrs on the job as the first Puerto Rican battalion chief in Hoboken yet not one complaint about that. We learned he came from the projects and ran the streets. His father was rough and his mother was handicapped but it all made him who he is today. Should I be concerned that Hollywood is shaming me for not growing up poor and pulling myself up by my bootstraps to become a public servant? Are they trying to sneak that past without us noticing? 

We also learned a great deal about Daniel, the contestant who overcame childhood leukemia. He has a wonderful story that I won't go into since the point has been made that Hollywood Survivor has already told us many stories about this season's players and there will surely be more going forward. 

Again, if you don't have an interest in people, or care to hear their stories, then Survivor isn't going to please you but feeling the need to inject your pejorative term for good people who simply believe we all deserve the same rights and opportunities is just sad. Hopefully we can all share our opinions without the need for insults. 

Esteemed Contributor

Oh jeez. Why do I even bother. Peace out.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

Is Survivor permanently moving to the late time slot (9 pm MT, 10 PT and ET)?  I don't like that at all because I will have to record it (I get up at the butt crack of dawn to go to work).

Honored Contributor

It's become soppy and preachy.  I don't care about their personal challenges. I do care that those who don't have a soppy story, have little chance to be selected for the show.

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

Is Survivor permanently moving to the late time slot (9 pm MT, 10 PT and ET)?  I don't like that at all because I will have to record it (I get up at the butt crack of dawn to go to work).

It's still on at 8:00 ET here. (Or so my TV's programming guide says.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

I am a huge fan and watch, and rewatch every season, so does my husband.

My biggest complaint about this season is the getting "politically correct" of  losing the "come on in guys". That's Jeff's signature phrase. And to change it stinks in my opinion. I honestlly don't precieve it as being gender related. To me, it's like saying hey ya'll, and meaning everyone.