Honored Contributor

Re: Some of Your Favorite Character Actors

Turturro

John Turturro

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee Michael Shannon has played some roles where he gives me the willies, creepy. Then he plays a good guy. He really is a good character actor. He always gets to me, whatever role he's playing.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

Roth

Tim Roth

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Whaley

Frank Whaley

Honored Contributor

@Coquille wrote:

@just bee Michael Shannon has played some roles where he gives me the willies, creepy. Then he plays a good guy. He really is a good character actor. He always gets to me, whatever role he's playing.

@Coquille

Creepy is an understatement!

Honored Contributor

Oh, boy, what a tough one, @YorkieonmyPillow.

Of course, I immediately think of the ones from the 'classic age' of film.

Let's see.

Thomas Mitchell--   Father of "Scarlett O'Hara", reporter buddy of Jean Arthur in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington) and countless others.  Deceptively good, versatile actor.

Eve Arden--  Sardonic perennial sidekick, typecast as "career gal" (ha).  Hilarious delivery and comic timing.  Assistant and confidante of "Mildred Pierce",  wry secretary to Jimmy Stewart's criminal lawyer in "Anatomy of a Murder".

Oscar Levant--  real life serious pianist, who played the occasional, wry, self-deprecating sidekick, often in musicals or musical bios, like he was John Garfield's best buddy in "Humoresque",  and Fred Astaire's musical comedy pal (along with Nanette Fabray) in "The Band Wagon".

Then there's Charles Bickford, Edward Everett Horton, Hattie McDaniel, Hume Cronyn, Elisha Cook, Thomas Gomez, Beulah Bondi...

They all had that extra "something", in spades.  But there are so many others I'm crazy about, can't think of just now!

You thought up a terrific thread, @YorkieonmyPillow.

Honored Contributor

Walter Brennan, winner of 3 academy awards; James Gleason from the '30s and '40s and great in Here Comes Mr. Jordan; Peter Lorre.

More current ones, W.H. Macy.  Many of the ones mentioned, I've never heard of--LOL!! 

Honored Contributor

Tilda Swinton And Mads Mikkelsen 

Esteemed Contributor

My DH likes Bruce Bennett aka "Herman Brix," (I think that was his real name), anyway, he lived to be 100 and he was in the Olympics and I don't know what all......he was in Mildred Pierce (Bert Pierce) and Dark Passage with "the Hump."

MV5BMTg0Njc1ODk1NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDk5MjYwOA@@._V1_UY317_CR18,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

My faves are from Old Hollywood also, @Oznell, as I can't stomach contemporary movies (most of them...)

Esteemed Contributor

Charles Coburn

Ed Asner

Brian Dennehy

Walton Goggins (Justified)

Edmund Gwen