Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Began tonight at 8pm with the TAMI show.  Wow - show stoppers - Smokey Robinson and The Miracles and then later on James Brown and The Flames.  It is said that when The Rolling Stones had to follow James Brown at this concert, that's when he brought out his dance moves. He had to do something after following a young James Brown.  Had Chuck Berry, Jan n Dean, The Beach Boys, Lesley Gore, The Supremes and many others. 

10pm is Let The Good Times Roll, and then around midnight it is time for Elvis!!

This will be going on all weekend.  Tomorrow night I think is a lot of Brits - The Who, Led Zeppelin, etc....

Beats the same old, same old.

I came upon it accidentally and loved it. There was a lot of British Invasion. Gerry and the Pacemakers and a few others. I LOVE Smokey Robinson. He got better with age. Loved Leslie Gore. I wish she'd have sung Judy's Turn to Cry, but the other hits were great, too. 

Those girls dancing. What can I say? I did the same thing-the Frug, the Jerk, all of them. They looked like idiots some of them! What am I saying? I did the same thing. Fun times.

I remember once the Beatles came in, and I think it was that same year, groups like The Beach Boys were totally dropped. No one wanted to see them anymore. Brits were the scene. That's all we wanted. But The Beach Boys came back when the novelty wore off. I think their father (2 of them) was their manager. He did a good job getting them back-no easy task.

Respected Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Began tonight at 8pm with the TAMI show.  Wow - show stoppers - Smokey Robinson and The Miracles and then later on James Brown and The Flames.  It is said that when The Rolling Stones had to follow James Brown at this concert, that's when he brought out his dance moves. He had to do something after following a young James Brown.  Had Chuck Berry, Jan n Dean, The Beach Boys, Lesley Gore, The Supremes and many others. 

10pm is Let The Good Times Roll, and then around midnight it is time for Elvis!!

This will be going on all weekend.  Tomorrow night I think is a lot of Brits - The Who, Led Zeppelin, etc....

I came upon it accidentally and loved it. There was a lot of British Invasion. Gerry and the Pacemakers and a few others. I LOVE Smokey Robinson. He got better with age. Loved Leslie Gore. I wish she'd have sung Judy's Turn to Cry, but the other hits were great, too. 

Those girls dancing. What can I say? I did the same thing-the Frug, the Jerk, all of them. They looked like idiots some of them! What am I saying? I did the same thing. Fun times.

I remember once the Beatles came in, and I think it was that same year, groups like The Beach Boys were totally dropped. No one wanted to see them anymore. Brits were the scene. That's all we wanted. But The Beach Boys came back when the novelty wore off. I think their father (2 of them) was their manager. He did a good job getting them back-no easy task.

Tonight will be the British Invasion.  Last I checked 'The Kids are Alright' with The Who will be aired.  And then the Led Zeppelin movie centering around their concerts at MSG circa 1974(?) The Song Remains the Same.  I haven't seen The Who movie so I'm looking forward to that.

Yeah, The Beach Boys sure fell out of favor pretty quick once The British invaded the U.S.  I never appreciated The Beach Boys until much later.  They really were fantastic in the studio with the harmonies and melodies.  And then of course Brian Wilson went off the deep edge from the pressures for awhile there.  Did you know he was deaf in one ear?  His father had struck him in the ear as a kid and he grew up with hearing loss.  That is why his mouth and smile are sort of lop-sided a little bit.  Just a tidbit of the trivia I know.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Contributor

I came upon it while channel surfing. While watching the fabulous James Brown I can see where Michael Jackson got his dance moves. All the acts were great. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rock n Roll on TCM

[ Edited ]

@jellyBEAN 

Did you mean, Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas?

A lesser known band, but had a few good songs...Bad to Me, was a favorite.  They were managed by Brian Epstein of Beatles fame.  Came in with the British Invasion.  Crooner is perfect description.

DH and I saw him a few years back singing with a lineup of artists from that time, including Peter Asher of Petter and Gordon.  He still had a fab voice.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline 

@jellyBEAN 

Loved the backup dancers...good heavens, they must have burned a million calories....but yes, to the fringed dresses and boots.

Dancing in a cage was a perfectly normal aspiration for the time.  Cat LOL  I think at one time I hoped it would happen for me to....it didn't!

They did look a little silly, but....we all did it, it was fun and crazy all at the same time....I cherish those memories!

Esteemed Contributor

@jellyBEAN 

There was a movie a few years back about the Beachboys' rise to fame.

Evidently, the father was a lunatic and home was not a happy place.

Mike Love, the dummer, died by drowning I think....and, like you said, Brian was troubled, but  I think he finally pulled out of it.  Seemed the movie touched on the bad influnces that messed him up.

In the end, they were surpremely talented young men...music still beyond compare to my aging ears.

Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Tonight will be the British Invasion.  Last I checked 'The Kids are Alright' with The Who will be aired.  And then the Led Zeppelin movie centering around their concerts at MSG circa 1974(?) The Song Remains the Same.  I haven't seen The Who movie so I'm looking forward to that.

Yeah, The Beach Boys sure fell out of favor pretty quick once The British invaded the U.S.  I never appreciated The Beach Boys until much later.  They really were fantastic in the studio with the harmonies and melodies.  And then of course Brian Wilson went off the deep edge from the pressures for awhile there.  Did you know he was deaf in one ear?  His father had struck him in the ear as a kid and he grew up with hearing loss.  That is why his mouth and smile are sort of lop-sided a little bit.  Just a tidbit of the trivia I know.

Yes, I knew but totally forgot. And that time (a long time as I recall) when he was in his room and wrote "In My Room". How sad is that? He turned out all right, didn't he? Brilliant, actually. I, also, didn't appreciate them till much later.

I was kinda surprised the Beach Boys were even in that mix last night. But it all worked. Was that Jan and Dean in the striped shirts? They were kind of boring. I missed the next show.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@jellyBEAN 

Mike Love, the dummer, died by drowning I think....and, like you said, Brian was troubled, but  I think he finally pulled out of it.  Seemed the movie touched on the bad influnces that messed him up.

In the end, they were surpremely talented young men...music still beyond compare to my aging ears.

No, that was Dennis Wilson, the drummer. The cute one!

Mike Love was a cousin who took over when the original guy quit the group.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@jellyBEAN 

Mike Love was still touring and singing.

Dennis Wilson was the drummer and he drowned. His boat had sunk in a marina. And he was diving and retrieving some items from the boat.  Carl Wilson died of stomach cancer. Brian Wilson was touring last year and as you said doing much better.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline 

Yes, I just looked it up as it seemed wrong...and it was.  So sad how it happened. 

All of them so talented.  I didn't appreciate them at the time, but adore those harmonies now....Good Vibrations...God Only Knows....Who does music like that anymore?

Sigh...I'd like to be that young again.