Honored Contributor

I would love ideas about what to watch. I want something NOT serious/dramatic. I've been watching lots of those.

Not exactly comedy, well maybe a little, but something lighthearted.

Appreciate any ideas, thanks!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Recommendations For NETFLIX

Try Don't Look Up. It's a satire. Not slapstick, does not require thick skin to see the humor,  and it's a well written script managed by big name actors. 

Two low level astronomers (Leonardo DiCaprio & Jennifer Lawrence) discover a rogue comet headed straight for earth. In 6 months it will reach here and  destroy the planet. They go to the White House to try to get help to defeat the thing or warn the world, but the President (Meryl Streep) is busy with mid-term elections. Her chief of staff (also her son, played by Jonah Hill) is equally indifferent. They are frantic to alert the world, but the military and High Tech have their own agendas. The scientists decide to go public themselves. 

All the news & commentary shows are overly involved with celebrity breakups and various superficial cultural memes to report. No one wants to know about death and destruction. It's not a disaster movie about the end of planet earth. It's a satire about modern life and cultural priorities and, yes, politics versus science.

Subtle,  funny, and also sobering. It's getting rave reviews and growing in popularity on Netflix. If you watch, be sure to sit through the credits. There is an epilogue scene of about 90 seconds that is particularly good and easy to miss if you turn it off too soon. 

Enjoy it. 

Frequent Contributor

@Love my grandkids 

If you want something fun, I recommend "Nailed It!" Three contestants attempt to decorate cakes to win $10,000. Jacque Torres (a famous baker) is part of the team.

I don't usually laugh out loud when watching TV, but I do when I watch this show.

Honored Contributor

@hummermom @gizmogal Thanks, ladies. I'll give these a try.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids Grace and Frankie sounds like a good fit for what you described.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids 

You may like "Mr. Iglesias."
It's about a teacher who is devoted to his bright, but "misfit" high school class.

Funny, smart, lots of heart and love.

Based on the comedy style of its star, Gabriel Iglesias, aka Fluffy.

His comedy specials are good. Adult, yes, but not raunchy.

There are some comedians who have Netflix specials that are funny AND tasteful. 
I'd include Mike Birbiglia in that group, too. Again, adult, but there's a sweetness, like with Iglesias.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Check out Blue Miracle.  I watched it last night and really enjoyed it. It is a feel good movie based on a true story.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach That sounds JUST what I'm looking for. Will likely watch today and will post my "review" ha ha .

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Pecky Thanks! I've put it on my list.

Occasional Contributor

This show does have all types of emotions in it on Netflix. Crash Landing On You. Best show ever made English subtitles but you get used to it and music is outstanding there are a lot of K-dramas, Taiwanese dramas that are good