Honored Contributor

Re: RIVETING FORTIES' SUSPENSE FILM MONDAY 1:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Ditto, @TexasMom1 ,   he's incredible in that!   I can never reconcile that monstrosity that Raymond Burr plays in "Pitfall",   with his later meticulous, charming "Perry Mason".    All his noir villains are so convincing.  He's really an actor's actor. 

Honored Contributor

I recorded "Crack-Up" for watching last night.  Glad to say it's as good as I remembered.  I love the way Forties' films allow suspense to build, and the way dialog and relationships are given room to establish a mood.  Hard to describe.

It's neat that both Pat O'Brien and Claire Trevor are a "mature" couple in this, who have an interesting, not problem-free relationship.  Her magazine job makes her have to tote around a lot of phonies and climbers, somewhat neglecting him, and his experiences in the war make him both brash and underneath, less confident than he portrays-- less sure of her, for example.

Some of this you get in dialog, and some is by inference....   just one of the many subtle satisfactions of the 'classic age' of filmmaking....  

Respected Contributor

to the OP: what a great review!

Honored Contributor

Thanks, kind @GoneButNotForgotten !