Honored Contributor

HITCHCOCK'S "SABOTEUR" ROBERT CUMMINGS, PRISCILLA LANE MONDAY 8:00 P.M TCM . EASTERN TCM

saboteur-1942-party-scene-dancing-pat-barry-priscilla-lane-robert-cummings-review.jpg

Another exciting, fast-moving romantic suspense thriller that Alfred Hitchcock made here in the U.S. during the perilous days of World War II.   One of my favorites of his group of films that are always referred to as "underrated".

But now so many critics and viewers have discovered the merits of "Saboteur",  I'm not sure it is still under-valued...

8:00 p.m. Eastern, Monday--   "Saboteur".    Robert Cummings, Priscilla Lane, Norman Lloyd, Otto Kruger, Alan Baxter

Saboteur 1.jpg

Regular guy Robert Cummings is in the wrong place at the wrong time at his wartime factory job, and in the wild confusion, gets fingered for the deadly bombing sabotage that takes place there.

MV5BMTc1NjMyODA0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzc1MjkyMw@@._V1_.jpg

His life changes instantly, as he must flee across country, picking up reluctant companion Priscilla Lane.  He's on a quest of the real perpetrator, and the sinister Nazi spy network behind him... 

Saboteur-Hero.png

( Wonky side note:   Other die-hard Hitchcock fans may know this, but I didn't until recently:   "Saboteur" is the middle film in Hitchcock's planned trilogy of studies of innocent men who have to go "on the lam" to prove their worth.  The first film was "The 39 Steps",  then "Saboteur",  then finally, "North by Northwest".   And they do share many of the same characteristics!)

6904_5.jpg

Love adorable Robert Cummings and spunky Priscilla Lane in this-- they're game for anything!   And also of note, single-minded Norman Lloyd.  Remember him from, much much later, a certain well-regarded hospital drama?   Much more cuddly in that...

Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 10.14.47 PM.png 

Very entertaining escapism, yet with timely and sobering reverberations for us in our time.

Love the way Hitchcock utilizes great American landmarks as backdrops to his suspense... 

gZLzd84Sm4DP6s0NMFH60ExoRL6.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: HITCHCOCK'S "SABOTEUR" ROBERT CUMMINGS, PRISCILLA LANE MONDAY 8:00 P.M TCM .

Norman Lloyd in later years.  He collaborated with Charlie Chaplin, as well as Hitchcock.   He lived to be 106.

e3d40f753df8428bb5900b82c30efb57_xl.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: HITCHCOCK'S "SABOTEUR" ROBERT CUMMINGS, PRISCILLA LANE MONDAY 8:00 P.M TCM .

I haven't seen this movie in awhile but do remember how good it is.  I will DVR it for another view as Hitchcock movies are always worth watching again and again.  

I remember watching the Bob Cummings tv show in the fifties when I was a young girl.  I always liked him and considered him a worthy actor.  This movie brings out his talent.

Honored Contributor

We were at Universal Studios in 1991, they had a Hitchcock exhibit back then and one of the things on display was the tower scene from Saboteur, they asked for a volunteer to go up in the tower as in the film, my 11 year old daughter was seclected from a few hundred in the audience, it was great. 

Esteemed Contributor

Ignorant question alert.

I see the photo of the Statue of Liberty from the above mentioned film and Mt Rushmore is iconically included in North by Northwest. Since you say this is the middle of a trilogy, did The 39 Steps include something similar? Not very familiar with the film.

Thank you.
Honored Contributor

@spiderw ,   yep, I'm recording it too, despite having seen it several times.   It's one of those that really reward multiple viewings!

@Shelbelle ,  wow, what fun that must have been for your daughter.  I bet that really made an impression on her.

@Alter Ego ,   What a good question--  shows your intellectual curiosity.

I was vaguely remembering that "The 39 Steps" had several well-known Scottish landmarks in it, but couldn't think of any.  Looked it up, and sure enough, someone has gone to the trouble of listing all the locations in the film! 

Part of it was studio-filmed, but as you can see, they also filmed at the famous British Museum, and at New Scotland Yard, the London Palladium, etc.

List of Locations

The Forth Bridge in Scotland, is one of the landmarks in "The 39 Steps":

0350.jpg 

Honored Contributor

Can never get over the eerie, arresting cinematography in "Saboteur",   as Cummings and Lane careen from California to the very edge of New York...

Saboteur 818.jpg

sab-statue.webp

sab-statue2.webp

Honored Contributor

Probabaly my second fav "Hitch" film. My first is "Rope".

Robert Cummings is great in "Kings Row".

Honored Contributor

Don't miss this one! 

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 ,  I almost mentioned in my first post that "Rope" is the other, slightly under-appreciated fave of mine!   Both films have so much "meat" to them.

@Judaline ,  yay, another enthusiast!