Honored Contributor

Maggie Griffin, 99, mother of comedienne Kathy Griffin, has passed.

Kathy Griffin shared the news on social media on Tuesday night. “My Mom, the one and only Maggie Griffin, passed away today,” she wrote. “I am gutted. She was my best friend. She was my family. You knew her. She appreciated you guys so much. I’m shaking. I won’t ever be prepared. Her point of view. So unique. We just GOT each other. I’m so grateful you got to be part of her life. You loved her. I know it. She knew it. She’s irreplaceable.

“I’m telling you right now, I am not doing well with this,” Kathy continued. “I’m rambling now. Sorry. It truly feels like the end of an era. Oh, and OF COURSE she went on St Patrick’s Day.”

Honored Contributor

I loved seeing Kathy and her mom together, Maggie was a hoot, and I feel so bad for Kathy.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Oh, Kathy's mom was a hoot and so well loved by her daughter. They were funny together and clearly best friends.

Kathy's lost a lot of 'best friends' in the last several years, which I'm sure makes this loss doubly hard. I hope some of those 'old friends' step-up, to offer support. I feel sad for her.

Trusted Contributor

Didn't realize she was 99.  I think she was Kathy's anchor.