Respected Contributor

Queen of Tears - Netflix Korean Drama

I finally started watching Queen of Tears. It's a 16 episode Korean series available with subtitles or dubbed currently streaming on Netflix. The last episode just dropped on Sunday so it's very current.

It starts as a cute boy meets girl story, and by the end of the first episode they are into their three year marriage when they are hit with a major adversity. 

Without giving away too much of the story it then evolves around dealing with this adversity. As with most K-dramas there are the typical multi generation sub-stories, diversity of family lifestyles, and your scheming villains.

The screenwriter is the same woman who wrote Crash Landing on You, and this show has the same sweetness between the lead characters.

This was a major hit in Korea and surpassed the ratings for Crash Landing. I've only watched up to episode five so far, but I think if you enjoyed Crash Landing you'll enjoy this also.

Super Contributor

Re: Queen of Tears - Netflix Korean Drama

Thanks for sharing this @Etoile308 

Many years ago I watched another South Korean TV series called Mr. Sunshine on Netflix and enjoyed it very much. Set in early 1900s, it is a historical and romance based drama.

Look forward to seeing Crash Landing On You and Queen of Tears. Appreciate the post and have a great day!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Etoile308,

Thanks for mentioning this.

I watched Crash Landing on You and thought it was one of the best things I've ever watched.

And especially if the ratings for Queen of Tears was even better, I'll see if I can get it!

I just watched the trailer and I thought especially she looked familiar. They did bring in the same actors from Crash Landing. So good!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@nwbabs, I enjoyed Mr. Sunshine also. I do like the historical dramas, and it was nice to see one that took place in the late 1800's since so many are set during the early Joseon dynasty.

Respected Contributor

@on the bay, no, this is a different actress in the lead role.

One thing I really enjoy about K-dramas is that they don't scrimp on the wardrobe budget. I love just looking at the outfits, shoes, and jewelry.

Honored Contributor

@Etoile308   K-movies dubbing is so good, I forget they are actually speaking Korean. Smiley Tongue

If you are into K-gory horror movies, check out Netflix

Parasyte: The Grey....a race of slug-like parasitic creatures have arrived on Earth. They've worked their way into unsuspecting humans, using them as hosts and transforming their bodies in grotesque ways.

Movie reminded me of the old movie called The Body Snatchers, the original & remake.

This Korean horror series isn't one for the faint of heart. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac, thanks for the suggest. That's not my typical genre but I did see good things about it. I'll keep it in mind.

I've tried watching something dubbed, and agree it's very well done but realized I preferred subtitles. I keep hoping to pick up more than a dozen words I understand.

Respected Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

I finally started watching Queen of Tears. It's a 16 episode Korean series available with subtitles or dubbed currently streaming on Netflix. The last episode just dropped on Sunday so it's very current.

It starts as a cute boy meets girl story, and by the end of the first episode they are into their three year marriage when they are hit with a major adversity. 

Without giving away too much of the story it then evolves around dealing with this adversity. As with most K-dramas there are the typical multi generation sub-stories, diversity of family lifestyles, and your scheming villains.

The screenwriter is the same woman who wrote Crash Landing on You, and this show has the same sweetness between the lead characters.

This was a major hit in Korea and surpassed the ratings for Crash Landing. I've only watched up to episode five so far, but I think if you enjoyed Crash Landing you'll enjoy this also.

Oh wow, better ratings than CLOY?  Thanks for posting, i adored CLOY, it was funny, thrilling, sweet and of course romantic.  I will be sure to watch this.  Thank you again!

Respected Contributor

@Shawnie, I will caution you that this show isn't as lighthearted, but it is very touching. There are times you may be reaching for a tissue. 

Contributor

I like Crash Landing a lot more than Queen of tears.