Honored Contributor

Re: Project Runway 4/11 -- Back to Bravo! Spoilers

Maybe there should be a rule that no contestants can try to influence the design of another, that is for Christian to do.  Tessa is too aggressive in this way.  Those she bothers should tell her to back off and mind her own business.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

Maybe there should be a rule that no contestants can try to influence the design of another, that is for Christian to do.  Tessa is too aggressive in this way.  Those she bothers should tell her to back off and mind her own business.

I see no reason for a rule.  The designers should be able to shake that off if they're going to make it in that business.  There's always mind games in competitions.  A lot of times the designers actually ask for other contestants' opinions. I don't know if it's because they feel some sort of comraderie with all this together time or what.  I'm also surprised that they are so open with each other about what they plan on doing.  I would be afraid someone would take my idea (which has happened on other seasons).  

Trusted Contributor

Am I missing something with Bishme's design? It looked like a glittery baseball jacket from the 80's with exaggerated shoulders and a tie-up top and pants. I see nothing original in it.
I thought it was Venny for the win! His curvy model looked so attractive in that design and the mesh and fabric choice was a novel reinterpretation of sneakers.
Thank you for the heads-up on The New York Times article @LoriLori I will read it tonight.
Is this the first time in PR history the men and women are living together in the same penthouse? I seem to remember they used to live in different hotel rooms, but the rooms were not adjoined...and the men and women were always photographed in their separate kitchens.
@Icegoddess I guess "suburban" is the new "old lady!"
Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess I didn't see the mannequin with the black circles. Why do the forms always say Collapsible Shoulder on them? I actually never understood that.
Trusted Contributor

I like the way they flash on the screen the looks from the designers who are safe, especially when there are so many contestants. I don't think Lifetime ever did that.
Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@IcegoddessI didn't see the mannequin with the black circles. Why do the forms always say Collapsible Shoulder on them? I actually never understood that.

@MarnieRez3, I could never afford any of those dress forms on the PR shows.  Most home sewers often buy adjustable ones that have dials that open up the middle vertically.  I don't know what you do if you're bigger front or back vs wide.  That's my issue with my butt.  While I have a large hip measurment, the bulk of that is in the back, so adding to the outside hip doesn't work.  I assume the forms in the workroom they pad to their model's measurements?  That has also always been a question of mine, although I don't remember ever seeing any of these forms padded until last night when I saw those black circles on the form's butt.  What I use is called a body form which is a soft mannequin type of form, but they only come in a couple of sizes.  As far as the collapsible shoulders, I can only assume that means you can push the shoulders in somewhat for narrow shoulders or maybe for storage, I'm not sure.

Anyways, some home sewers make their own dress forms by wrapping their bodies in duct tape.  You need a second set of hands to do that, but it probably makes the most accurate form for that one person to fit their own clothes on.  There used to be a dress form (may still be out there) called the Uniquely You form.  It came as a large foam block.  You measured yourself and sewed a cover that when put on the form would squish the foam in to fill the cover and therefore supposedly be a duplicate of the person's body.  There is a hilarious story I have about a woman trying to stuff that foam into her cover.  

So, here is my padded body form in the process of being padded and showing the shoulder pads that look almost like the padding on the form in the background in the PR workroom.  I took pics as I went along for a facebook sewing group I'm in.  Besides, I just like taking pictures of things.  It's taken from an odd angle, but I think you can get the idea.

IMG_5920.JPG

Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 I believe the sale aspect influences which designs are chosen. That three piece could be sold as separates and each piece would appeal to and could be worn by a larger number of buyers. I don't like that the winning design is than sold since it seems unfair.

Honored Contributor

Tessa does an awful lot of standing around and offering advice.  

I would like to see her go.  

Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrain
Yes, I suppose that explains it. I can't see any other reason why that outfit won.
Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess Oh now I see! Thank you for this excellent explanation. And photo!
It seems odd to me as well that they drape their garments on a standard form, even though they are given the model's dimensions which may be completely different. That could be the hardest part of the whole competition as they are judged so severely on fit. It makes sense they would pad the form the way you did, in order to accommodate their model's hips, breasts, etc.
I guess this was not as big an issue in the past, when all the models were tall and super-thin.