Honored Contributor

This has been airing a lot now on FLIX Channel, I still enjoy it as much now as I did over 30 years ago. The chemistry between Streisand and Nolte was wonderful. What a story !!!

Super Contributor

Loved the novel and Pat Conroy's writing. The movie was the cherry on the sundae. Whenever I crossed over that bridge out of Charleston the words "Lowenstein, Lowenstein" came to mind.

Thank you for posting and bringing that fond memory. Happy Sunday!

Honored Contributor

Sadly, it was nom for 7 Oscars and didnt win any. 

Respected Contributor

I loved the book, but I think that the film became a vanity project for Barbra.

It was definitely interesting, with some fascinating scenes, but overall I think a failure save for the performance of Kate Nelligan.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Prince of Tides

[ Edited ]

An absolutely wonderful movie...storyline was excellent and so very well done...Nolte and Streisand were amazing together!...It did receive a few nominations that year; however, it was up against some really tough competition with "The Silence of the Lambs" which took home every major award that year.

eta:...Streisand's son was also excellent in his role...loved the chemistry that developed between him and Nolte.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

From what I have read, Nolte and Streisand 's

chemistry was off screen as well as on. Nolte wrote a book and it was well documented in there. 

Respected Contributor

I recently watched this for the first time - on Flix.  Loved it.  I'm going to read the book.

Esteemed Contributor

@nwbabs 

Since you love Pat Conroy's writing, did you know that the inspiration for the father character was actually his father.  He wrote the Great Santini book as a in depth sketching of his father.  It's this book that became the basis for the father in Prince of Tides.

if you haven't read: Beach House (NY) or South of Broad  (Charleston), you are in for a treat !

He was a very talented writer !   Even DH enjoyed him and loves the scene I. Beach House where the young uncle is trying to convince the young teenage niece that he'd make a better guide, after all he'd buy her her first heels and teach her to smoke !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

Always bored when I try to watch. I actually find Conroy's books so depressing.

Respected Contributor

Now I want to watch this movie again. I have always been a fan of Streisand's talent but when she has chemistry with her co-stars the performance reaches out and grabs me to take my breath away. That is what happened with this one. 

Lynn-Critter Lover!
(especially cats!)