Honored Contributor

Peacock Streaming Service Question

Of course I've heard of this, but I've never paid much attention.

This morning I talked to a really sweet Xfinity technician about another issue. We started talking about old sitcoms. I told her I had some Frasier episodes on DVR that I watch when I am a little down. That's when she told me about Peacock, which is included with our subscription.

I assume this is owned by NBC. So do you just get NBC TV shows? She showed me how to access movies too. 

Other pros and cons you can share? TIA!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Peacock Streaming Service Question

We have Peacock and I am enjoying it.  I have been watching episodes of Alfred Hitchcock, both the 30 minute series and the hour series.  We have watched Frazier episodes too.  

I watched Murder She Wrote last week.  Just  go on it and you can explore the different tv shows and movies that are offered.  If you have a voice remote you can use it to go directly to the show or movie you want to watch.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom.  When I consider a new streaming service, I google it and read all the details including what programming is available.  Its the best source of information. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I forgot to add that Peacock if offered to us for free with our cable subscription. There are still commercials with our free version.  

I am not sure I would keep it if they start to charge for it because we also have Netflix.

Valued Contributor

I get this free with Comcast Xfinity but don't use it. I'm just not interested in old programming. If I want to see something previously aired, I go to YouTube on my smart TV.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven’t really looked into this (as I’m really not that interested at this time) BUT have a question.

They were talking about The Office now being available on Peacock on my morning local news. The first 2/3 seasons were on the free version and remaining seasons were on the premium version.

For those that say it’s free to them with their cable - are you just getting the already free version or just not paying for the premium version?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alter Ego 

I think the free version is the lesser version because we still have commercials.  Comcast tells us it is a 5.99 value, for free.  I think the premium does not have commercials.  If I am remembering correctly, it has been a while since I read about it.

I do not know how many seasons of The Office are available as I do not watch that show.

Trusted Contributor

It is a lure. I have been fighting with Comcast (xfinity) for a week now. Since they are changing everyone out to new modems and starting data limits, they are slowly making me insane.

Anyway, Peacock is just a lure. There is limited old shows so they can say it is free. If you want any other shows it bumps to Peacock Premium, and yes there is a fee.

I could not hate a company more than I hate Comcast. They are intentionally causing internet problems, TV problems, connection problems and they are doing it slowly and surely so that you eventually pull your hair out and call them. Once you call they force you to get their new modem, which doesn't cost more, but it is the new limited one. That is their way of swapping out everyone's modem so they can put data caps on all customers. Honestly every person in my town in suddenly having issues and it is such a sneaky way to lock you up as a customer.

They see the writing on the wall. So many networks are going to streamers Comcast is eventually going to be just an internet service and people will pick and choose what streaming service gives them the most channel choices. Peacock is just Comcast's step into the streaming world.

They have a monopoly in my area, I have no other choice for Internet. For TV the new streaming way is the future, I hate that. Add all the fees for each one you pick and the monthly bill going to be ridiculous. I have lost about 20 channels (and the good ones too!) that are now with streaming services. All the shows I watch.

Trusted Contributor

@gabstoomuch wrote:

It is a lure. I have been fighting with Comcast (xfinity) for a week now. Since they are changing everyone out to new modems and starting data limits, they are slowly making me insane.

Anyway, Peacock is just a lure. There is limited old shows so they can say it is free. If you want any other shows it bumps to Peacock Premium, and yes there is a fee.

I could not hate a company more than I hate Comcast. They are intentionally causing internet problems, TV problems, connection problems and they are doing it slowly and surely so that you eventually pull your hair out and call them. Once you call they force you to get their new modem, which doesn't cost more, but it is the new limited one. That is their way of swapping out everyone's modem so they can put data caps on all customers. Honestly every person in my town in suddenly having issues and it is such a sneaky way to lock you up as a customer.

They see the writing on the wall. So many networks are going to streamers Comcast is eventually going to be just an internet service and people will pick and choose what streaming service gives them the most channel choices. Peacock is just Comcast's step into the streaming world.

They have a monopoly in my area, I have no other choice for Internet. For TV the new streaming way is the future, I hate that. Add all the fees for each one you pick and the monthly bill going to be ridiculous. I have lost about 20 channels (and the good ones too!) that are now with streaming services. All the shows I watch.

peacock premium.PNG

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gabstoomuch wrote:

@gabstoomuch

I feel you. I have called Comcast Cable "Moneycast" for a long time.

The company is changing your modem and router, because the internet speed has increased. The new speed will not work with your current hardware. I buy my own cable modem and router. I can only keep them for about 3 years.

An average household with 1-2 people should not worry about a data cap. This is aimed at a cord cutter who is  streaming 4K video on a few Tv's, running tablets, and playing online games.

The company will give customers 3 months to adjust to the new cap. 

DSLREPORTS.COM has a Comcast Internet and cable TV forum. You will find a discussion about the data cap.