Honored Contributor

Re: Oprah Winfrey Joins 60 Minutes As Special Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/oprah-winfrey-becomes-special-contributor-to-60-minutes/

It will be nice to see her again.  I still miss her show.

Respected Contributor

Do people still watch 60 Minutes?

As far as O goes, yuk....cannot stomach her. It amazes me how some follow her. If she says something, they take it as gospel. I'm not fascinated by any so-called "star".  I find most of them repulsive, at this point in my life. 

Growing up, I watched a few of her shows with my mom. I couldn't stand it- especially when the women in the audience were screaming like idiots. Why do women scream?

Just yuk. 

Honored Contributor

My opinion has changed since I posted last Feb (has it been that long?)

We watched 60 Minutes last night and I saw very little of the previous personality characteristics that had turned me off.

We will continue to watch 60 Minutes.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I don't have a problem with Oprah.

If I like the segment, I'll watch.  

Good for her she's loaded.  She's worked hard.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

I don't think she was the right person for that segment but I don't think she was as bad as Megyn Kelly.   I'll still watch 60 minutes.

Honored Contributor

My friend and I were talking about the time she invited all of these people who needed cars to her show and then gave them each a car.

While that was a worthy idea, I know in Washington, DC. I think it was one woman had to sell the car because she didn't have the money to pay the taxes on the car and get the license, etc.

The cars were donated by a car company.  I'm sure Oprah (I would hope) didn't realize this would happen; and it probably was embarrassing for her.  But at the time, my thought was if they were hurting for money so much they couldn't buy some kind of car why would they have the money to pay the taxes on the new car and buy tags, etc.?  

When I lived with my sister growing up as a teenager, we were in that situation (absolutely no money).  My sister was a single mother of 4.  She was working 2 full time jobs and sometimes even a 3rd part-time job.  I was in school and watched her children.  There was no way we could afford a car or any of the expenses that went with one.  So I understand how difficult it would have been for these people to come up with the necessary money to maintain a NEW car.

I know often Ellen gives away things similar and I would hope she also gives whatever money is needed to register the item and pay the taxes on it.  Many people don't realize people have to pay taxes in some states on what they receive on shows.

This does a good job explaining things:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/08/the-price-is-right-but-taxes-are-wrong/

But Oprah's heart was in the right place and perhaps she went back and helped some of them.  I hope so.

My point is not to bust on Oprah because I think she definitely is a good person, intelligent, etc.  I just don't think she warrants the hollier than thou attitude people have toward her.....

Honored Contributor

My friend and I were talking about the time she invited all of these people who needed cars to her show and then gave them each a car.

While that was a worthy idea, I know in Washington, DC. I think it was one woman had to sell the car because she didn't have the money to pay the taxes on the car and get the license, etc.

The cars were donated by a car company.  I'm sure Oprah (I would hope) didn't realize this would happen; and it probably was embarrassing for her.  But at the time, my thought was if they were hurting for money so much they couldn't buy some kind of car why would they have the money to pay the taxes on the new car and buy tags, etc.?  

When I lived with my sister growing up as a teenager, we were in that situation (absolutely no money).  My sister was a single mother of 4.  She was working 2 full time jobs and sometimes even a 3rd part-time job.  I was in school and watched her children.  There was no way we could afford a car or any of the expenses that went with one.  So I understand how difficult it would have been for these people to come up with the necessary money to maintain a NEW car.

I know often Ellen gives away things similar and I would hope she also gives whatever money is needed to register the item and pay the taxes on it.  Many people don't realize people have to pay taxes in some states on what they receive on shows.

This does a good job explaining things:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/08/the-price-is-right-but-taxes-are-wrong/

But Oprah's heart was in the right place and perhaps she went back and helped some of them.  I hope so.

My point is not to bust on Oprah because I think she definitely is a good person, intelligent, etc.  I just don't think she warrants the holier than thou attitude people have toward her.....

Esteemed Contributor

Wow!! Some of the comments. I did not know that there was so much hatred out there for her. As for the WW comment I am not sure how she ruined the program. I joined because of her and I am down 15lbs and counting.

I use to be a huge fan of 60 minutes. I would watch the shows with my grandmother. I am not big on change, so once the old timers started dying out I sort of drifted away. I have not watched the show in many years. I do plan on giving it a try since she is going to be on. I will check it out. If I like it I will continue to watch if I do not like the show I will stop.

To each his own.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Graciesmom wrote:

Why doesn't she just use her OWN network ??  She does have that TV Network doesn't she ??  Why go to CBS ...

I guess she's bored. Her Own network must not be enough exposure for her.

@Trinity11

LOL .... my first thought was why would they want her?  

My second thought was she must have a lot of free time on her hands.   Most people who run networks are very busy people!   

Since her inept girlfriend showed up on the Morning Show, she's been edging her way into the limelight again. 

I thought I was the only one who didn't like her on the morning show.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@Graciesmom wrote:

Why doesn't she just use her OWN network ??  She does have that TV Network doesn't she ??  Why go to CBS ...

@Graciesmom  Because hardly anyone watches her network?

Besides, where would she fit in among all those old, many-times-aired-already repeats of Dateline on OWN?

As you both said, I do not understand why she isn't promoting her OWN Network. Why is she promoting CBS?