Valued Contributor

Re: New commercial with "fat fabulous life" star

@manny2 wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

@manny2 

The tasteless execution of the ad does all the shaming.  It flatters nobody and nothing at all.

Utterly tasteless.

@novamc1 That is your opinion of an ad, and you are entitled to it. What isn't OK is the "she is fatter, and not fabulous"  It's body shaming, and it is not OK. 

Is being obese and unhealthy something to encourage and celebrate?

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 You're correct, that there are several conditions that make it harder to lose weight. I have one of them, myself, being metabolically challenged. So it takes a lot of work to maintain my ideal weight. If I gain a few pounds, I have to drop to 1,000 calories to get it off and it may take me a month. So I don't let that happen often. Maintenance is about 1,600 calories/day, unless I really up the exercise. I've learned that I can't use my situation as an excuse for allowing myself to be overweight, knowing the health risks. It's about responsible management.

While some conditions make it hard, none that I'm aware of make it impossible to lose weight. I'm sure many have seen My 600lb Life and how so many say they had dozens of diet failures, with some conditions that make it impossible to lose weight. But, if they required hospitalization where their diet could be restricted, the pounds came off. There's a thing about denying how many calories we're consuming. 

The bottom line is, it's very hard to lose weight. With a food addiction, that does make it almost impossible. The failure rates are very high, even after surgery. 

Whitney says she has PCOS, so she can't lose weight. But, we know she has, at times. She just hasn't been willing to stick with the challenge because it's very hard physically and emotionally. It's why counseling is so important for addictive situations. It's something I feel Whit would benefit from. 

I would never make fun of people who are obese. What I feel is sad for them, as they are not living their best life, and, a life that will eventually be plagued by ill health and cut short. That's the reality. 

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@Trinity11 You're correct, that there are several conditions that make it harder to lose weight. I have one of them, myself, being metabolically challenged. So it takes a lot of work to maintain my ideal weight. If I gain a few pounds, I have to drop to 1,000 calories to get it off and it may take me a month. So I don't let that happen often. Maintenance is about 1,600 calories/day, unless I really up the exercise. I've learned that I can't use my situation as an excuse for allowing myself to be overweight, knowing the health risks. It's about responsible management.

While some conditions make it hard, none that I'm aware of make it impossible to lose weight. I'm sure many have seen My 600lb Life and how so many say they had dozens of diet failures, with some conditions that make it impossible to lose weight. But, if they required hospitalization where their diet

could be restricted, the pounds came off. There's a thing about denying how many calories we're consuming. 

The bottom line is, it's very hard to lose weight. With a food addiction, that does make it almost impossible. The failure rates are very high, even after surgery. 

Whitney says she has PCOS, so she can't lose weight. But, we know she has, at times. She just hasn't been willing to stick with the challenge because it's very hard physically and emotionally. It's why counseling is so important for addictive situations. It's something I feel Whit would benefit from. 

I would never make fun of people who are obese. What I feel is sad for them, as they are not living their best life, and, a life that will eventually be plagued by ill health and cut short. That's the reality. 

I worked for awhile in an industry where weighing a normal weight was discouraged. I needed to be 110 pounds at 5'8 to work. I have been plagued my entire life with unrealistic goals to stay slender and in my teens I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. At 63, I had a heart attack and another one within 11 months. I was so thin that upon arrival to the ER precious time was lost because of how I looked. No one believed I was having an MI. That ended in heart failure. It is a myth that thin folks are healthier. I have a lot of overweight people in my life, far healthier than I am @BlueFinch .

PCOS makes losing weight near impossible. It affects blood sugar levels and increases circulating insulin. Insulin is a fat building hormone causing weight gain. Even with weight loss surgery my husband's cousin's daughter regained every pound back. She got tired of living on 800 calories a day and near 0 carbohydrates. 

I know nothing about Whitney. I will not watch reality television as a rule. However, until I walk in her shoes, I refrain judgment. No one understands the disease of obesity and how devastating it can be. If diets worked the majority of people on this planet would be thin. More research needs to be done....

Valued Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

@manny2 

The tasteless execution of the ad does all the shaming.  It flatters nobody and nothing at all.

Utterly tasteless.

@novamc1 That is your opinion of an ad, and you are entitled to it. What isn't OK is the "she is fatter, and not fabulous"  It's body shaming, and it is not OK. 

Why is it wrong to point out the obvious?

1. She IS heavier; isn't she concerned about her health? does she really want to drop dead 30 years too soon?

2. I think she's one of the most obnoxious, self-involved people I ever seen. Does she care about anything or anyone but herself?

That's my opinion and if you don't like it, you can just ignore it.

Valued Contributor

@Knit-Chick wrote:

I've always thought that calling someone 'fat' was so incsonsiderate and mean.  I've never watched the show, but for some reason it bothers me that she's in a show with a title that refers to her as fat.  

Watch the show and see if you think the title is incorrect. Obviously she doesn't mind; she signed the contract and accepts the checks.

Valued Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

....so it is nice that WM recognizes these customers.

it recognizes their MONEY.

Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@4kitties wrote:

I was curious as I had not seen this commercial. I found it on YouTube.  

I think stores should sell all sizes, everyone should have options and be able to find clothing in their size.  

I fight the weight thing every day.  Working like a dog to keep my weight in the proper range.  There but for the grace of God go I.  I am blessed to have no medical condition that makes me gain weight or makes it even more difficult to lose.  Just have to watch my eating, with varying degrees of success........

It's a battle for a lot of people @4kitties It is also a coping mechanism for trauma as well. Either way it's not OK to shame anyone. Think what you want just zip it. 

Your post is kind, and nonjudgmental. We need more kindness. When someone is overweight they are fully aware. They don't need anyone to remind them.

I think often when folks say they are only concerned about the person's health, it's just an excuse to fat shame while feeling smug. 

That is exactly what it is. 

“Children do not start wars, and they cannot end them, but they always pay the highest price.”  Catherine Russell, UNICEF Executive Director
Respected Contributor

I've seen the ad- It's fine. Whitney looks as normal for her.

Always admired how Whitney is proud of herself and refuses to accept judgement, even often getting into swimsuits on-camera, or having someone else shave her legs-  When she taught the dance class, I loved how she encouraged pride in the class despite size- Very inspiring.  I've watched the show from the beginning but last season became super boring, IMO.   

Honored Contributor

I know nothing about the woman or the show.  I dont watch the show mentioned, never have.

My question is we can call people thin, skinny, thin as a rail, scrawny and I have not seen or heard any complaints.

We are not allowed to call people fat, obese, huge, etc.

Just how would you describe any of these people without body shaming?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)