Honored Contributor

NIce Little Kirk Douglas Fest on TCM

The holiday treats from TCM are rolling out. (These aren't Christmas movies, but they're treats, nonetheless!)

In progress:  "Seven Days in May"   has Kirk, Fredric March, Burt Lancaster, Ave Gardner, Edmond O'Brien, in a tense and engrossing political thriller about a rogue element in government trying to overthrow the duly elected Presidency.  The perspective is typical Hollywood, but the plot and performances keep us riveted.

2:00 p.m. Eastern:  "Out of the Past"--  Many critics consider this noir the best one ever made.  I would quibble slightly with that, but it's up there!   Mitchum and Jane Greer sizzle.  This has one of the best roles for a young Kirk Douglas as a heartless but suave and smart underworld figure, pulling private eye Robert Mitchum's strings...

Honored Contributor

Re: NIce Little Kirk Douglas Fest on TCM

Thanks @Oznell for all your wonderful threads this year on some of my favorite movies. I always look for your nic because you have some very interesting posts.Heart

I just watched Trapeze this morning. I really enjoyed it.

Honored Contributor

I love Kirk Douglas but can't watch today.

I did watch the Postman Always Rings Twice with Lana Turner yesterday.    So compelling.  I had to stop what I was doing to watch it all.

@Oznell

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @Trinity11.  I was thinking I haven'r perhaps seen your screen name quite as much recently, and missed it.  It's so great to have you in the vintage film "club".  Hope you are doing well, and have an excellent Christmas!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Thanks, @Trinity11.  I was thinking I haven'r perhaps seen your screen name quite as much recently, and missed it.  It's so great to have you in the vintage film "club".  Hope you are doing well, and have an excellent Christmas!

Hi @Oznell. I have been recovering from the flu. I even had the flu shot but still managed to contract it. Finally, feeling better again and hoping to have a wonderful Christmas. I wish the same for you and yours...

Honored Contributor

Hubby said he heard the flu shot wasn't as efficacious against the strains out there this year--  so glad you're recovering, @Trinity11.

Honored Contributor

Gosh, I'm watching Ava in this and marveling anew at her middle-aged beauty.  What a fab couple she and Kirk make together-- they even have complementary cleft chins, although hers is more delicate...

Valued Contributor

Thanks for “Out of the Past” reminder!  I’m glad I checked in here because I had planned to DVR it, but of course I forgot.  You are so good to give us a schedule. The synopsis you give for each one makes me want to watch!

The other day was Edward G. Robinson day, another one of my favorites. 

Honored Contributor

@Ruby Laine, that's two of us for wonderful Edward G. Robinson!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  A nice thing on TMC, considering Kirk just turned 101 years old a few days ago!  Good for him!

@software  I watched Postman again also.  Hadn't seen it in quite a while, although I've seen it multiple times over the years.  There's a remake of it but I like this version with Lana Turner.