Honored Contributor

My Unorthodox Life On Netflix

[ Edited ]

This is a nine episode documentary about Julia Haart who left her life in Monsey, NY and recreated herself leaving behind everything she was raised to believe. I have watched five of the episodes, it's really good. It's amazing how she made a 180 from the life she led. She is the mother of four, one daughter is married. Ben the son-in-law kind of has had the life he thought he was getting tossed away. It is a big adjustment for him. I don't get how he has a problem with his wife wearing pants yet she wears short skirts and bare midriff tops. They have been married for about seven years with no kids which is unheard of in the Orthodox community. I find this documentary very interesting 

Valued Contributor

Re: My Unorthodox Life On Netflix

Sounds interesting. May give it a watch.

Respected Contributor

I recently finished this series and I enjoyed watching it too.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, I will have to look for it.  

Honored Contributor

Julia Haart was on The View today promoting the series. 

Regular Contributor

This has got to be the most ridiculous show I have seen in a long time! The Orthodox community in Monsey is so insular, there is no way that the ex-husband would ever be on a tv show.  This is a most unrealistic view of transitioning out of orthodox Judaism. Zero to 100 in so little time.  The kids are so fake and spoiled - they are only qualified to do "jobs" that mommy finds for them in the company - except for the one that goes to Stanford and codes. I am just wondering how she got access to computers in Monsey to teach herself.  As for changing her last name, her father was amenable but I thought it was rude.  Just so umbelievable and ridiculous!  

Honored Contributor

I found this show appalling. 

Honored Contributor

10/10 in my book.  Just loved the show.

Honored Contributor

My cuz said she turned it off, very offended by it. I know the Orth communities are up in arms about it. Nice article on aish.com opposing the show. 

Respected Contributor

I had to take a break from it at the point her youngest child was believing his best interests were to stay in the fundamental life and he clearly looked like a deer in headlights hiding behind a smile, it was very sad.

I don't know much about what she escaped from but I support anyone's decision to leave where they aren't allowed to live their own life as they wish.  A couple things she described sounded horribly stifling. She clearly is far happier as are her older children which is priceless when we have one short life to live.