Honored Contributor

Re: My Octopus Teacher-Documentary on Netflix

I know this is an old thread, but I just watched this!  I am still emotional thinking about it.  I always thought these creatures were so scary and rather equated them to monsters!  While watching this, I just found myself so drawn to this sea creature and thought -- why did I ever think that it was ugly and scary?  Seeing how intelligent and curious she was and how she and Mr. Foster began to develop a friendship, I began to see her as a beautiful and delightful being.  When she was injured, he feared for her life and wanted so badly to help her.  It was so touching the way she reached out to him and even allowed him to pet her and at their very last close meeting, the way she laid herself totally upon his chest in total trust rather like a child does on her father's chest!  It was lovely and so emotional and such a tender and sweet moment.  I could not control my tears!  I knew it would have a sad ending and I just cried and cried!  It was so moving.  But I was terribly glad that I watched this and glad that I had the opportunity to see what lovely, intelligent and awe-inspiring creatures that they really are!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I've always loved octopusses. They're so intelligent and emotional, and often times mischiveious -- just like humans Woman LOL

Valued Contributor

Thank you, @Cakers3!

Can tell this is definitely something I will enjoy watching.   i will also be needing a box of tissues handy, I'm sure.

Frequent Contributor

This wonderful movie won the Oscar for best documentary!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for this! Will have to watch it. Is this the Documentray that won an Oscar? 

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 

Well, I'm crying just reading about it, so it will be on my "no watch list" untill I can muster the courage to do so.  Since I don't have Netflix, I won't be tempted.

I've seen short segments on this fascinating creature, and it left me with an overwhelming feeling of human ignorance for other beings and our cruelty towards them.

They really are amazing. 

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

I've always loved octopusses. They're so intelligent and emotional, and often times mischiveious -- just like humans Woman LOL

@GoneButNotForgotten 

Now I'm a fan, too!!!  I admit that I did not know much about them before this documentary!  I'm so glad I watched it, even though it was really sad!

Honored Contributor

@dylanfan wrote:

This wonderful movie won the Oscar for best documentary!

@dylanfan 

I can certainly see why! Amazing! 

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

Thanks for this! Will have to watch it. Is this the Documentray that won an Oscar? 

@CANDLEQUEEN 

I did not know that but I guess so!  So beautifully done!  

Honored Contributor

Would you all that have seen it say it would be ok for an 8 year old to see? Thanks! I am thinking of watching it with my granddaughter, the next time she sleeps over.....