Honored Contributor

Re: My 600 lb life last night 4-17

Both Medicaid and Medicare cover weight loss surgery. So I am sure that is why some people go that route. 

Last night the lady said several times she just wanted to take a pill and have everything taken care of. And I can't help but wonder that some people feel weight loss surgery is a magic pill that will make them lose weight.

I also found the lady last night just whipped up # of pounds she lost. The first phone call with Dr Now she said she lost 70 pounds. And a month later she said she lost 120 pounds. But she never weighed herself to see what she really lost.

Esteemed Contributor

This was the first show where we never saw the patient get on a scale because she couldn't stand up and was completely bedridden.  She never got out of a vehicle because she was always brought there by medics with gurneys .  We never knew what her starting weight was until Dr. Now told the cameraman that she started out at 689.  Then, he kept her in the hospital on the diet and she lost 113 in one month..  Then she went home and all bets were lost.  She had one "crisis" after another and a million excuses.

What I find strange with all these people, are the "enablers" who say "if we don't get her what she wants, she starts screaming and threatening us"... LOL   Dr. Now keeps telling them to let her get her own food.  She can't get out of bed FHS.......

Also, when they tell us they are going to see Dr. Now for the first time, they never tell us how they got to that point.  Where did they hear of him - how did they get approved, etc....  So much is left out but I guess we can look it up if we care enough.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@Patriot3 wrote:

I thought that was one of the worst episodes.  I feel sorry for the people who have this addiction, but on the other hand, they must take a lot of responsibility and help themselves.

This show is hard to watch.  When is this seson over?  It is on gain tonight.

The new shows are always on a Wednesday.  All the others are repeats or upates.....

Valued Contributor

My sister had gastric bypass.  She was in her mid 40s.  She was 5' 3" and weighed over 500 lbs.  She had to see a counsler a few times before surgery.  She admitted at the time she lied and said all kinds of things that she thought would help her get the surgery.  She had the surgery about 19 years ago.  She did lose weight but never stopped over eating.  She just eats less now.  She eats lots of what she isn't supposed to and she gets sick from it.  It always seems to be someone else's fault when it happens.  Her doc sent her to a dietitian because she is still over weight but now suffers from malnutrition.  She honestly laughs non-stop when she tells someone this.  It is easier not to say anything to her about it because then something about it will be my fault.  Her food addiction will probably kill her.        

Honored Contributor

@DrakesMomma wrote:

My sister had gastric bypass.  She was in her mid 40s.  She was 5' 3" and weighed over 500 lbs.  She had to see a counsler a few times before surgery.  She admitted at the time she lied and said all kinds of things that she thought would help her get the surgery.  She had the surgery about 19 years ago.  She did lose weight but never stopped over eating.  She just eats less now.  She eats lots of what she isn't supposed to and she gets sick from it.  It always seems to be someone else's fault when it happens.  Her doc sent her to a dietitian because she is still over weight but now suffers from malnutrition.  She honestly laughs non-stop when she tells someone this.  It is easier not to say anything to her about it because then something about it will be my fault.  Her food addiction will probably kill her.   

That is so sad to read. And so sad to watch your sister to continue over eating.

There are several people on 600 lb Life who are getting weight loss surgery for the second time. 

You are probably right, her food addiction will probably kill her. I lost a cousin. Her brother would pick her up every morning and drive her to work. She was unable to drive herself because of her size. The family was trying so hard to keep her working. So she hopefully would be busy working and not eating. She was only in her early 30s when she died. 

Valued Contributor

@drizzellla - I'm sorry to hear about your cousin.  It is very sad. 

I remember one time she called in my nephew from outside while he was playing.  He was probably eight or nine.  She told him to bring her some ice cream.  He got out the ice cream, a bowl, and a spoon.  He was spooning it into the bowl.  She yelled at him again...about what was taking so long.  He tried to explain what he was doing.  She cut him off.  Yelled at him again to just bring her the container. 

I didn't understand then and I still don't understand why she just didn't get it for herself.  She didn't ask me because I would have told her to do it for herself.    

Honored Contributor

I am tired of hoarders and 600 lb life. Ready for different new shows. Like outdaught
Honored Contributor

Oops. Outdaughtered or something new😀
Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Both Medicaid and Medicare cover weight loss surgery. So I am sure that is why some people go that route. 

Last night the lady said several times she just wanted to take a pill and have everything taken care of. And I can't help but wonder that some people feel weight loss surgery is a magic pill that will make them lose weight.

I also found the lady last night just whipped up # of pounds she lost. The first phone call with Dr Now she said she lost 70 pounds. And a month later she said she lost 120 pounds. But she never weighed herself to see what she really lost.

I used to feel sorry for these people, but I don't anymore.

Valued Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I had my gastric surgery in 2006.  I had been at my job for 29 years and had excellent health insurance.  I had to pay --up-front- for this surgery and also the skin removal.  Even having my lawyer and doctors send letters to the insurance company , the insurance company denied it saying this surgery was unproven.  As of 5 years years ago BC/BS was still denying gastric surgery.  My current company also doesn't pay.