Honored Contributor

Watching it on DVD from the library. I remember when only hillbillies and rednecks drove Jeeps. Actually,that's us.

I think I read somewhere that the reason Dennis Weaver(Festus) had a limp on Gunsmoke was so he wouldn't have to carry a gun.

Trusted Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 

I thought Weaver played Chester and Curtis played Festus.

Honored Contributor

Dennis Weaver Horse Riding

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Regular Contributor

Massive "Gunsmoke" fan here.  Ken Curtis played "Festus" not Dennie Weaver.  Ken Curtis was a singer as well. He sang with Tonmy Dorsey (actually filling in for Frank Sinantra)  and also sang with the Sons of the Pioneers.  Dennis Weaver played "Chester" with the limp.  Dennis Weaver also played in one of the best "Twilight Zone" episode called "Shadow Play". 

Respected Contributor

Loved Dennis Weaver in "Duel".

Honored Contributor

I am sorry. It was Chester. I got so excited seeing this old show.

Honored Contributor

@mormel20 wrote:

Massive "Gunsmoke" fan here.  Ken Curtis played "Festus" not Dennie Weaver.  Ken Curtis was a singer as well. He sang with Tonmy Dorsey (actually filling in for Frank Sinantra)  and also sang with the Sons of the Pioneers.  Dennis Weaver played "Chester" with the limp.  Dennis Weaver also played in one of the best "Twilight Zone" episode called "Shadow Play". 

I love Gunsmoke, I watch on Inspire.  What I can't understand is this, as much as I watch it I will still see shows I have not seen before.  It was on for 20 seasons.  I still enjoy it.  I also still see other actors that I am surprised to see them in a western.  Caroll Oconnor was in one a few days ago.  

Honored Contributor

Dennis Weaver was very handsome in McCloud.  It was hard to believe he was Chester.  He was so good in McCloud

Honored Contributor

Saw a great film w/DW called Greyhounds. 

Contributor

I do the same thing!  I started watching after my in-laws got me into it. My MIL is in a nursing home. My FIL comes to visit her. They are both in their late 90's.  They sit in recliners - side by side - holding hands and watching Gunsmoke. It's is beyond sweet!

I love finding actors in the episodes who went onto other successful ventures.  Bette Davis was even in a Gunsmoke episode!

I also really enjoy the episodes that show the sub-story lines and how they developed the characters over the years. Dennis Weaver's character grew a lot over his time on the show.

It's fun to learn trivia about the show, too.  Amand Blake helped design some of her own costumes.  She was a tad over dressed for a frontier women, but loved her wardrobe.  :-)