Trusted Contributor

Macy Gray National Anthem

[ Edited ]

What do y'all think of Macy Gray's rendition of the national anthem at the 2022 NBA All Stars Game? I think it is beautiful, pared down to raw emotion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgG9czaMB04

Honored Contributor

Re: Macy Gray National Anthem

I loved it. She made me cry.

I have always loved Macy Gray from the first time I heard her.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

It was beautiful in it's simplicity.  

Respected Contributor

She made it seem effortless to sing that difficult song. I've always been a fan. Macy Gray and Bob Dylan are my favorite singers of an honest, simplicity of style. 

Respected Contributor

Didn't like it but good for her, it's a difficult song & she did her best.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@kitcat51 , I do hope you will give it another listen or two. To me, the notes she hit were perfection. Perhaps it is her style that doesn't appeal to you. Thanks for your thoughtful post.

Honored Contributor

I didn't care for it. The National Anthem should not be 'stylized'. It's like using the US flag for something other than what it's suppose to be used for...don't mess with it. Save that for something else, perhaps for a song she wrote herself.

Trusted Contributor

I hear ya, @SilleeMee , and I don't like most of the stylized renditions of the National Anthem. This one was very articulate and respectful and touched my soul.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am so glad you posted about this , i wish someone would have smacked the smirk off of Le Bron's James face . Whether you like Macy or not , that was her normal style of singing , and there was comments that she was high . I watched it twice and think she did great. Now to be objective i understand the comments about stylizing the National anthem , but they knew who they were getting when they asked her to perform , They knew this was not going to be Whitney Houston.

Respected Contributor

No matter who sings The Star Spangled Banner, I don't like it. Every few years someone starts a movement to switch to America the Beautiful, but it never happens.