Honored Contributor

Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 3.34.03 PM.png

My library had the Robert Gottlieb book on Greta Garbo.  Former editor of "The New Yorker" and former editor-in-chief of Simon and Schuster,  he's yet another one exhibiting Garbo-mania.  

Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 3.47.59 PM.png

He has the most ravishing photos of her that I've ever seen in one place, and I've seen a lot of them. 

Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 3.49.25 PM.png

Love the way the young Robert Taylor ( no stranger to 'gorgeous' himself, ha) seemed so enthralled with her in "Camille"--

camille-1936.jpg

Moody.

Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 11.37.28 AM.png

Ever since the Swedish teenager hit our shores in the 1920's,  she's been a sensation, even though she prematurely dropped out of films, but could not drop out of her stardom.

Her triumph in "Anna Christie",  where she acted so effectively with Marie Dressler--

Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 4.19.28 PM.png

Such was her presence, and that elusive "something",  she's especially fascinated great photographers, essayists and intellectuals, in search of a muse.

After she left public life in the 1940's, she was still photographed obsessively, by everyone.  I like some of her photos as a mature woman, even better than those taken at the height of her career and youthful beauty.  Her friend Cecil Beaton, among others, famously captured an intriguingly older Garbo--

7e47c468903711ed7551f37bb57303ac.png

A fascinating, mobile face--

Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 3.43.06 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 3.50.20 PM.png

In his book, Gottlieb has stories galore, and wonderful add-ons like, other famous people giving their reaction to the unique star, essays about her mystique, analysis of her films, sightings of her after her sudden, permanent retirement... 

Down to earth pro tip--  Garbo rinsed her palest of honey brown hair in a chamomile tea rinse...

Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 4.26.38 PM.png

When the 20 - ish library aide was checking me out, she stopped when she got to the Garbo book, looked at me quizzically and said,  "Wait-- Garbo--  I've heard of her." And then something like--  "I need to find out about her".

Go, Gen Z!

Esteemed Contributor

Lovely intriguing woman.

Respected Contributor

Oh, how fun!  Thanks for the post ~ I've not seen the more mature photos but absolutely love them.

Honored Contributor

Re: MYSTERIOUS GRETA GARBO

[ Edited ]

A great screen presence.  My favorite--Queen Christina, with the famous last shot.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for sharing.  I'm 60 ish and need to read more about her!  
🤣😀

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 ,  Gottlieb had a story about that famous scene, which you may have heard already.   Garbo asked her director, the great Rouben Mamoulian, what she should be expressing in that scene.  He said, in effect, "Nothing-- absolutely nothing. Make your mind and heart into a complete blank.... make your face into a mask".   Interesting piece of direction, and effective.

Ha, ha, don't we all, @lynnie61 !   There's always so much more to know ...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

@lynnie61 @kaydee50 @Spacrazy @mspatmac 

Thank you for these beautiful pictures!

She was so quietly mysterious!

Doesn't it seem that all great beauties shun the spotlight, but yet are chased by their fans?

I would like to read more about her because I fear I have missed the details of her life!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: MYSTERIOUS GRETA GARBO

[ Edited ]

@Oznell  Yes, I had heard that story and she achieved what the director required.  She hardly blinks her eyes for an extended period of time and one wonders what she is thinking.  Memorable.

Also she looked somewhat different!! when she first came to Hollywood. 

Respected Contributor

@LTT1   Exactly. I know what you mean. This time I'm going to follow up and learn more. Oznell's post has prompted me and I especially love the "senior" photos which I find more intriguing and beautiful. I never thought to look at the library!?!

Honored Contributor

@Spacrazy 

Me too! Coffee table books would be nice to see!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~