Honored Contributor

METV SUMMER SCHEDULE HAS "THE INVADERS"!

[ Edited ]

edited to remove personal details

With, fabulous Roy Thinnes as "architect, David Vincent",  every Saturday at midnight Eastern.

Warning-- not all of the MeTV channels are carrying this national feed-- they have the option of substituting their own alternate programming.  But most are carrying it, apparently.  Even if you can't get it though, I recommend the series on DVD.  There are only a few seasons, so not that pricey!

"The Invaders" is so worth a look.  It's the late 60's, and David Vincent is an ambitious young architect.  His life is changed, and his lonely quest begins, when he accidentally discovers that aliens have quietly arrived on earth, bent on spreading their influence and eventually conquering and enslaving humanity for their purposes...

roy18_big.jpg 

This series has all the earmarks of the other classic Quinn Martin productions ("The Fugitive",  "Cannon",  "Barnaby Jones",  "The Streets of San Francisco".)   It has a sci fi premise, true, but because of high production values, art direction, etc., and immensely engaging casts (including everyone from Ralph Bellamy to Diana Muldaur, to Jack Warden, to Diana Hyland, to Dabney Coleman, to Susan Strasberg, to Roddy McDowell, and on and on) it is a show for everyone, even those who don't like sci fi.  A tiny fraction of the notables who appeared on the show--

James Whitmore:

maxresdefault.jpg

Suzanne Pleshette:

Invaders16.jpg

Jack Lord:

233f58d04334eb8a3215d3169b202d8d.jpg

Gene Hackman:

th.jpg

"The Invaders" has become a cult favorite (and French intellectuals are partly responsible for this, ha) in the years and decades since production.  It's also partly due to talented Roy Thinnes.  He strikes that perfect balance between "sensitive" and "hunky",  and the way he plays Vincent is interesting.  Apparently some producers wanted him to be less of a crusader, and more of a 'smiley' star--  but he plays Vincent as a passionate, intense, even impatient and irritable Paul Revere, trying to warn the indifferent denizens of earth about the insidious invasion.

91dbf73f343bf71afb58eefb3b7365ee.jpg

In the second season he finally gets some support, in the form of millionaire industrialist Edgar Scoville (distinquished, silver-haired Forties' actor and heartthrob Kent Smith) and other allies.  But without a doubt, charismatic Roy Thinnes carries the series.

tve17026-19670926-1241.jpg

Oh, and speaking of Jack Lord and Diana Hyland, here's one of my favorite episodes from the series.  She's the pampered, alienated wife of controlling Jack Lord, who heads a company that David Vincent (Roy Thinnes) discovers may be on the verge of collaborating with the invaders.  David Vincent manages to worm his way into their household employ so that he can find out more.  Love the Sixties' interior sets and the kicky Sixties' wardrobe for beautiful Diana Hyland...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=6A4T7WqD8Gw

Respected Contributor

Re: METV SUMMER SCHEDULE HAS "THE INVADERS"!

OMG!!! What a blast from the past. Thanks for the heads up!!! Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

AND, most of the other episodes are available on youtube as well, I believe...

Honored Contributor

Being the Sci Fi fan I am I watched the Invaders when it was originally on TV in the sixties.  It was a well done series and looking at Roy Thinnes weekly didn't hurt either, LOL!!!!!!

When I saw the Invaders  return on MeTV I was thrilled.  It is on around midnight on the weekend so if I am up late I watch it.  Roy is still nice to look at !!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Well, that's nice but I never liked that show much.   Why, oh why, couldn't it be The Fugitive Heart  instead?   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, thanks moderator @Beth!  I see that you edited out the first image, which was of an old TV guide with Roy Thinnes on the cover, with an subscription label on the cover.  Never fear, that wasn't mine, or any personal info that I'm aware of.  It was a generic image that was online, probably for years, and no doubt is no longer valid for anyone.

But I'm impressed that you would spot something and act quickly to potentially protect anyone's name or address.  Kudos for being so on the ball!

Honored Contributor

@spiderw,  I should have known that as a total sci fi buff you would be on top of this and already viewing! 

@Pearlee,  of course "The Fugitive" will always be in a class by itself, for both of us, ha.  I 'm really glad though to see that MeTV is still branching out and airing (even if only for the summer) series that I also like that don't get much exposure, like "The Invaders".   There's hope that they'll get around to "Dr. Richard Kimble" once more!

Trusted Contributor

@OznellI use to watch The Invaders ever week, I was on the look out for the aliens with the crooked pinky finger like in the show !!!!

Honored Contributor

Like this creepy alien couple, @hayseed00?  They were pretending to be honeymooning campers, or something, but hubby's little finger gives them away!

Let's see, the other "giveaways" were that invaders had no pulse and did not bleed when cut. When they died, their bodies glowed red, and then incinerated before your eyes.  They had no emotions, but the cleverer ones could sort of simulate emotion, enough to fool even Vincent once or twice, I think....

Honored Contributor

Oh, darn. It's on at midnight

It may have been this channel or another, but it seems to me it was on last summer since I do recall watching more than several episodes then.  That may have also been thanks to @Oznell  who alerted us back then.

Great stuff!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.