Respected Contributor

Re: Looked up Bonnie Bedelia

@beach-mom wrote:

I have to post this here. I've heard her name through the years, but really couldn't place her. Then last weekend I watched an episode of Bonanza called "Forever." It was in two parts, and the station showing it only showed the first part. I looked at programming for the week ahead but couldn't find the second part anywhere.  Of course I had to research it to find out what happens! 

She played a girl Joe courted and married. They seemed to have a perfect life, but she had a gambler brother with debts. Michael Landon wrote the story over a summer's hiatus for Dan Blocker. But then Dan Blocker died suddenly during that summer, so Michael took the lead role himself, adding a few vague references to Dan as "Hoss," with Ben (Lorne Greene) that indicated "Hoss" had passed away. 

The second part I only read about. I haven't seen it, but apparently it pushed the limits of TV violence at that time,

Spoiler
with scenes of r ape and murder.

When Ben and Joe cry, they are really crying about the loss of Dan Blocker, and the suffering is real. You might know it doesn't end happily for Joe, but he does get some revenge.

Has anyone else seen this? Bonnie Bedelia was 26 when she filmed this episode. 

Yes I saw every episode of Bonanza when they originally aired.  Blockers death was such a shock.  

Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 It was a self-imposed curse.  As a teenager I finally said enough and wrote to the network about the killing off of prospective wives.  No response.  

Honored Contributor

Kirk Douglas and Michael Douglas are father and son

Bryce Dallas Howard (Jurrasic World) is the daughter of Ron Howard (Opie Taylor/Richie Cunningham)

David Cassidy, Shaun Cassidy, Shirley Jones, Jack Cassidy - David & Shaun were half-brothers. Shirley was Shaun's mom and David's step-mom.  Jack was dad to both.

This one is a little complicated.  Actress Tracy Nelson and singers Gunner and Matthew Nelson, and younger brother, Sam, are siblings and the children of the late Ricky Nelson.  Their grandparents are the late Ozzie & Harriet Nelson. Their mother was Kristen Harmon, who also worked on the Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet tv show.  She was the sister of hottie actor Mark Harmon.

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

Yes I saw every episode of Bonanza when they originally aired.  Blockers death was such a shock.  

@Shawnie - What did you, @VaBelle35 and anyone else who saw Part 2 of this episode think about it? 

It's too bad they had to make it tragic, but that was Michael Landon's choice.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal  Just wondering-why did you look up Bonnie Bedelia? She was in the Die Hard movies. I like her.

Off hand I can only think of two: Dana Andrews and Steve Forrest were brothers. 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@Shawnie - What did you, @VaBelle35 and anyone else who saw Part 2 of this episode think about it? 

It's too bad they had to make it tragic, but that was Michael Landon's choice.

You don't get much better acting on TV than in these episodes.

To me, it almost seemed like a separate movie and part from the show.  It was really Little Joe's story and part one was almost like a pilot for a spin off show about Little Joe.  Part One is about ultimate joy and happiness and part two is about sadness and unspeakable grief and coming through it.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Judaline, I looked her up because they were talking on t.v. about female race car drivers.  I remembered the characters name first that she played then her name.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, I looked her up because they were talking on t.v. about female race car drivers.  I remembered the characters name first that she played then her name.

Esteemed Contributor

Donald Sutherland & Kiefer Sutherland

Tom Hanks & Colin Hanks

Honored Contributor

Wasn't she on a soap opera during the olden days?