Honored Contributor

Multi-talented, for sure.

Love her Mexican/Latin songs as well.

What a beautiful voice.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:
@colliemom4. Well stated. She wasnt like Beyonce because she didnt have a PR machine working on her image and promoting her like "Queen Bey" does. Nor did she wear sexy costumes and as someone else stated she wasnt a diva. But she was indeed a superstar 40 years ago and Glenn Frey and Don Henley were backups for her, later to become The Eagles.

And neither did Linda R have Beyonce's voice and creative talent.  

You essentially admitted you're largely unfamiliar with Linda Ronstadt and with all due respect and I don't mean this to sound mean-spirited, but you really don't know what you're talking about. Ronstadt in her prime could sing circles around Beyonce. That said, musical acts have changed markedly in the intervening generations. In Linda's time, it was more purely about the music. By the time Beyonce hit her stride it had become more about the show, the video and the spectacle. Apples and oranges.

@luvitorleaveit wrote:

Well said @stevieb I refuse to put Linda Ronstadt in the same sentence with the entertainer mentioned.  The only similiarity is that they are both women and that's where it ends for me.

Honored Contributor
@Luvitorleaveit1. I agree. I 👏
Honored Contributor

Re: Linda Ronstadt

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

The comparison made between Linda Ronstadt and Beyonce was not about vocal range but rather star power.  ...

@qbetzforreal I agree, which was my point.  I just didn't care for the posters' statements that the only reason Beyonce is a "queen" is because of PR.  Bonnie Rait was, I think saying, that Linda was as big a star then as Beyonce is now.  Linda does have a lot of vocal fans on this board, but I just don't remember Linda being a dominant rock n roll artist.  She certainly had a lot of hits, which I would call pop.  Maybe it's just a matter of my taste in music.

I just want to say I haven't read through all of the replies to this topic but I think both Linda and Beyonce are giants in their field (big fans of both) at their given times.  Goodness knows the PR machines have changed dramatically between these two incredibly talented women but maybe the industry have inadvertently taken some of shine off of Beyonce.  So many not nearly talented folks have prospered with autotune (but look great on camera) that would not be the case and maybe have splashed up on her and other clearly gifted talents. That being said, I am very much looking forward to the special.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

I love Linda.  She has always been my favorite female singer.  My favorite album of hers is Prisoner in Disguise.

One thing about Linda, as to why she may not have seemed as big, even back then, was that she did not do her own writing, so has gotten no song-writing royalties all these years.  Only did "covers" of other people's songs.  

I love her cover versions of Buddy Holly's It's So Easy, Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You, and The Left Banke's Walk Away Rene. 

She also, I believe, started out as a Country artist, who crossed-over into soft/pop rock.   

I've been waiting for the CNN Special and plan on watching it.

@GrailSeeker   She wrote 3 songs (they were recorded) but is only known as an interpretive singer covering genres from rock to operetta.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor
I have our DVR set to record the documentary New Year's Day on CNN. Linda's voice was perfect. I am so sad she can no longer sing.
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor
Reminder 9 o'clock tonight on CNN.
Honored Contributor
Oh dear. Don Henley appears to have had had work done on his face.
I'm loving this documentary.
Respected Contributor

Re: Linda Ronstadt

[ Edited ]

I just finished watching the documentary and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had forgotten how beautiful Long Long Time and Don’t Know Much(with Aaron Neville) were. What a stunning voice. And to see Harry Dean Stanton pop up singing traditional Mexican music was a fun bonus.  I was fortunate to see her in concert once in the late 70s. 

Respected Contributor

Fabulous documentary!  Her voice was, truly, an instrument.  Pure and clear with an unbelievable range with or without a band or an orchestra.  She made each song her own.  A true singer and sang for the love of it.  Singing was as necessary as breathing for her.  She was a powerful singer.  The first female to have 5 Platinum selling albums in a row!  She covered multiple genres:  Country, R&B, Pop, Opera, Folk............a wide ranging talent.  For her it was all about the music which is why she stopped singing at stadium venues.

She was glorious!