Honored Contributor

Like "The Newsroom", "Homeland", and now "The Affair"

These are good shows. Does anyone else watch these?

Honored Contributor

Re: Like "The Newsroom", "Homeland", and now "The Affair"

I watch 'The Newsroom' and 'The Affair'. I like both shows.

I just re-watched the season finale of 'The Knick' last night because I think I watched it too late last time and was falling asleep. Glad I watched again as I had forgotten a bunch of stuff. That's another good one.

Honored Contributor

CB, I think it was the "blood" part I decided to pass on from the previews. I hope the whole show doesn't do this. If not, maybe I'll take a look/see at this, thanks.

I like the stories we get this way.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Knick? Not a lot of blood and gore there at all. Just a surgery here and there for the most part. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I watch Homeland and The Affair. I've watched Homeland since season 1 - and love it - but I'm not sure about The Affair . I had been really looking forward to it, but it's just "okay" for me right now. Maybe I'm just not as "into" the two perspectives as I thought I would be. I'm not giving up, but I'm kind of bored already. I do love that the setting is in Montauk, and I've long admired the lifestyle that seems to be there (I've never visited, but hope to one day). I like that Noah is a writer, and I think he's more attractive now than I had originally thought. I don't like cheaters, but there's something really attractive about him, I must say.

I recently read a review for The Affair that made me contemplate something about the plot which I hadn't even thought about. Not sure I should mention it here, since it could be considered a spoiler, even though the writer was just speculating. Maybe others have already thought about it, too, and I'm the lone one out!

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Super Contributor

Despite the fact that Aaron Sorkin is my fellow S.U. alum, I've never liked The Newsroom, chiefly because of that revisionist/revisited history flashback conceit he employed from the start and the preachy pronouncements from pseudo-sage Sorkin's soapbox. Sorkin needs to learn how to craft female characters so that they don't come off as airheads or #itches or both. Oh, yes, and did I mention that from the POV of someone who spent most of her professional life in network and major market local TV newsrooms, that show is so unrealistic, it made me sick. The only explanation for these inexcusable lapses is that undergraduate Aaron Sorkin was not enrolled in the Newhouse School of Public Communications (journalism, PR, advertising, etc.) but rather majored in musical theatre in the drama department.

I was intrigued by the promos for the new SHOWTIME series, The Affair, but it had an air of familiarity. Truly there was a sense of deja vu. Then I remembered how I'd invested three months in the similarly themed 2013-'14 ABC Sunday night series, Betrayal, that left me irritated by the plodding pace and woefully disappointed by the flat, nebulous and completely unsatisfactory conclusion. The Affair's cast, headed by Dominic West, Ruth Wilson, Maura Tierney, are all outstanding, accomplished actors, but based on that previous negative experience with Betrayal, it makes one think twice before going down that road again. I'd like to hear from someone who watched both shows, how do they compare, if at all?

Trusted Contributor

Both my DH and I love watching Homeland. We weren't sure where it was going to go after the end of last season, but so far, so good. Carrie (Claire Danes) is just as crazy as ever. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

LOVE The Newsroom - cannot wait for the Season Premier Nov. 9. Sad it's the final season.

The Affair - I want to like it, I think it's fascinating to show 1/2 an episode from Noah's perspective, 1/2 from Alison's perspective. But each episode moves
V-E-R-Y SLOW. Hope it picks up soon.

Homeland - meh. Not anymore.

Honored Contributor

That's one complaint I have with 'The Affair'. It does move terribly slowly. Another thing that occurred to me when I was watching the most current episode is that it seems like this must just be designed to last one season. How else could it go unless they dragged out the crime aspect (somebody was killed).

Wouldn't mind seeing more of Victor Williams, who plays the detective. I pretty much just know him as Deacon on 'King of Queens', so it's nice to see him again.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

On 10/30/2014 chickenbutt said:

That's one complaint I have with 'The Affair'. It does move terribly slowly. Another thing that occurred to me when I was watching the most current episode is that it seems like this must just be designed to last one season. How else could it go unless they dragged out the crime aspect (somebody was killed).

Wouldn't mind seeing more of Victor Williams, who plays the detective. I pretty much just know him as Deacon on 'King of Queens', so it's nice to see him again.

LOL! That's what I said to dh the first episode - "It's Deacon!"

Agree with you how it would be impossible to drag it out for several seasons. Kind of like that 2013 tv show Deception (with Victor Garber & Tate Donovan). I gave up on that only about 4 episodes in...but it only lasted 1 season.