Valued Contributor

Re: LOVING (The Film)

[ Edited ]

Hi @Pearlee. So glad you saw the movie and loved it. It is crazy to think that this case was less than 50 years ago. 

Leo was the bearded mason in the blue shirt. I saw him on screen 4 times but his best scene, where the bricklayers are speedlaying and he was acting right next to Joel were cut from the movie. This was the scene that earned him his SAG card. I am hoping it might be in a directors cut video if they do one. He also set up the masonry scenes. It was a great experience for him as he always wanted to be an actor and had to settle for being a mason.

I don't believe anyone else in the film has a beard. They asked everyone to be clean shaven but they loved his beard so much and his stylist Candee shaped it in a 50's style so they let him keep it. I wish they had shown more of the court scenes, esp on the state level where they lost. I think it is an extraordinary love story and I'm proud we got to be a little part of that.

On a personal note, Leo's older sister who is white married an African American man in 1967 in California where it was legal but they faced a lot of discrimination. Leo's sister cried when she realized what the subject matter of the movie was. Her husband has passed on now and it brought back a lot of memories of what they went through.

"The love you extend to others, will eventually find it's way back to you, no matter how many times it has left you hurt."
Honored Contributor

Thanks @Debzzz   I saw him then!  In the blue shirt!   

I'm pretty sure there was another guy with a beard in a red flannel plaid shirt in that earlier scene in Virginia but not certain, esp. given what you say.  I kept a close look for your hub in the masonry scenes as I said.  Didn't know he laid out all those scenes!  Wow!

Yes, it was really tough for interracial couples in 1967, even though it was legal.

On the street where I grew up, in the late 50's and the 1960's there was a widow on the street "who had been married to a black man" and she was the talk of the street, and not in a good way (the rest of the street was us Caucasians).   It was quite scandalous!

Hard to imagine nowadays.  As I say, it's amazing to me that the Loving case happened within my lifetime.  I certainly remember how things were before the 1964 Civil Rights Act passed.

Respected Contributor
I would like to see the movie. I have read it may be Academy Award material, what do you think?

When I was in high school a classmate became pregnant, when she began to show and school authorities recognized it she disappeared. Believe she was asked to leave. Then I moved to a big city and discover this was common place among many. Only bringing it up because like interracial couples/marriage many of a younger age never experienced or are even aware of this type of discrimination.
Honored Contributor

Has anyone else seen this since I started the thread?

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't seen it yet been so busy with family, illness, work and everything else but plan to see it soon.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Has anyone else seen this since I started the thread?

Me

The actor who played Richard Loving could have been his twin Smiley Surprised

Real Richard

Image result for richard loving

Joel Edgerton

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at Fri, Dec 16, 2016-11.11.17 PM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac  True enough.  And Ruth Negga looked a lot like the real Midlred only prettier.

Honored Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: LOVING (The Film)

[ Edited ]

In the middle 80,s, a black neighbor friend I got to be just very good friends. We went to a play in Marin County, CA.  The stares we received, and not pleasant ones, were uncomfortable.  I did not let this stop me from being friends and going to an occasional dinner or lunch together. This occurred in the 80,s. When my Grandmother died, and she adored him, he sat in her place at my wedding. I was honored he did.  He was a nice gentleman.  His son comes from Mississippi twice a year to visit me.  He used to pal around with my son's.  A well respected family.  This man died 13 years ago and I miss talking to him.  One of my aquaintances can,t believe I was seen with a black man in public.  I don,t see color or race, just the person I like.  I am 81, so I lived in that period.  I do remember it, not that long ago.  I also dated gay men, because they were fun and went to the upscale restaurants.  This was also before it was Ok. I have never been one to care what other people think of me.

Honored Contributor

This film premieres tonight on HBO.  I'll be eager to see what @chikenbutt who said she was DVR-ing it, thinks of it since we've discussed the HBO documentary about the Loving couple and the court case at length.  I will be watching the Monk Marathon instead tonight (as you can see by this thread I saw the film already at the theater) but will catch a repeat of it on HBO.  It's an excellent film and the actors are terrific, esp. Ruth Negga.  Both actors are made to look just like the real couple.

I look forward to seeing others' opinion about this film.  I'm really glad I saw it.