Esteemed Contributor

Dr. Martin Luther, Jr. III and Coretta Scott King paid her hospital bill when she was born.

The 55-year-old opened up about the day of her birth, back in 1967, in a now viral interview with Gayle King for A+E Networks and History Channel’s HISTORYTalk.

After noting that her parents, Walter and Betty Roberts, “couldn’t pay for the bill,” she said that the two activists offered to do it. The move was in gratitude to Roberts’ family for a previous gesture, which gave Martin and Coretta’s children an opportunity to go to a new school.

“My parents had a theatre school in Atlanta called the Actors and Writers Workshop, and one day Coretta Scott King called my mother and asked if her kids could be part of the school because they were having a hard time finding a place that would accept her kids,” the Ticket to Paradise star explained.

According to Roberts, her mother told Coretta and Martin to “come on over” to the school. She also noted that after this experience, her parents became close to the King family.

“And so they all became friends and they helped us out of a jam,” she added.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11373325/Julia-Roberts-says-Martin-Luther-King-Jr-wife-pa...

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

It's a lovely story.  I've heard it several times before.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for posting.  I had not heard that wonderful story.  I am not likely to listen to a Gayle King interview, so I appreciate you taking the time to post this.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Sad, must have happened just shortly before his death. 

Esteemed Contributor

In these times more stories of how people  can come together to help one another  are much in need.

Honored Contributor

I had seen this yesterday in the news back then it was not a every day occurrence for being friends,so glad that has changed,never really understood that thinking.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Incredible story- I never heard it before! 

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It's a lovely story.  I've heard it several times before.

You must have heard it several times within the last two months because it's just now being made public @chrystaltree 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

It was published, but perhaps not widely known.

From contactmusic.com February 2006:

Coretta Scott King Was Julia Roberts' Fairy Godmother

Late civil rights leader Coretta Scott King took an incredible secret to her grave - she paid for Oscar winner Julia Roberts' birth.

King, the widow of MARTIN LUTHER KING JR, lost her battle with ovarian cancer and died on 31 January (06).

And now it has been revealed that the civil rights icon helped bring PRETTY WOMAN Roberts into the world - by covering the hospital costs of the actress' parents.

The extraordinary act of kindness came about in 1967 after King befriended Roberts' actor parents when they agreed to give her children drama lessons.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for posting-I didn't know that. Wonderful story.