Respected Contributor

Re: Jeopardy! Masters Starts May 1

I will be watching! 

Valued Contributor

Good Day just when it was getting back to "normal" so tired of champions redux.
Esteemed Contributor

I'll be watching - looking forward to it!!

Honored Contributor

If they asked me, I'd say stick with plain old Jeopardy. 

Honored Contributor

Normally I don't care for all the championship games; just give me the normal everyday games. However, during the past many weeks when they were doing different versions of champion players, I got used to the past-paced game.

Now, back with the regular people coming in to play, the game seems to move so, so slow. Particularly with the gal (another Amy?) who takes SO long to pick a category and SO long to answer...sometimes they don't, or barely, finish the game using up all the clues.

For that reason alone, I am looking forward to James, Matt, Amy, etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Daisy Sunflower   I don't think they purposely go slow. I think some of them just need more time to think/process which category to choose.

However, what could be corrected that would help move things on is to eliminate unnecessary wording when choosing a category. For instance, "Let's try..........";  "I'll take......"; "I think I will go to......."; "Maybe I should stay away from that category and go to.......," etc. Just say it, for Pete's sake! ha!

I know it is polite to say please when you ask for something, but this is a game show and perhaps they could skip the "please" after choosing a category. Just say: "American Geography for 1,000." and not "American Geography for 1,000, please."

AND.......what is really wearing on me lately is that they all want to imitate Matt (or was it James?) by saying before the last clue is revealed "BRING IT!" That has really gotten old for me to hear. Once is a while is fine. I like when Ken sometimes beats them to the punch and says, "And the last clue is......." and gives the clue before they can say "BRING IT!" LOL!

Respected Contributor

After nearly 7 months of every type of TOC imaginable, I was looking forward to some normalcy. Of course, I'll be watching, though.

I hadn't really thought too much about how the contestants ask for a clue, as someone mentioned. Maybe they just want to add a little individuality now that there's a rule that that names of categories must be read in their entirety.

What I do wish is that they'd reinstate their old rule of No Shoutouts. (We ♥️ you, Alex, excluded) James Holzhauer ushered in an era of silliness with those things, which prompted a resurgence of the rule. But they're back with a vengeance. 

And Alex Trebek would be disappointed at the demise of the congratulatory handshake, too. They're all jumping all over each other, anyway. Also, Drew Carey, Pat Sajak, and others long ago brought that back. 

Trebek was always proud of what he called sportsmanship on display on Jeopardy. Much of that also probably cane from his longtime hosting gig on Classic Concentration, where contestants furiously applauded...for each other lol, much like Press Your Luck. That's also missed on Jeopardy when contestants don't applaud when one uncovers a DD or responds correctly. It doesn't mean they don't want to win. It's sportsmanship, whether it's Jeopardy, basketball, tennis, or boxing. And it shows enthusiasm for the game. 

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

@World Traveler I'm guessing that the contestants are instructed to say the entire title of the category. "3 letter words that remind me of Russia" must say the entire title rather than just "3 letter words"

Ken seems annoyed that the regular contestants are missing so many clues. He will say "Noooo" 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Reminder for those who like to see the very top of the champion list play.....tonight it starts AFTER regular Jeopardy! (at least in my area of the world; time might vary across the U.S.).

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 1.49.06 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 1.49.17 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 1.49.35 PM.png

Esteemed Contributor

I love Jeopardy. Been watching since I was a very young girl.  It was a must in my house.  My mother was very knowledgeable avd did quite well in her responses.  She also worked the crossword puzzles every day and the NYT puzzle on Sundays

I love the Masters Tournaments. They are extremely smart folks.  That Victoria Groce is really really smart and seems to have the buzzer down to a science as does Yogesh.   I don't dislike any of them. Mates  does bug me a bit with her gestures but I do like Amy too.  As I said I like them all and certainly am in awe of their knowledge.

Of course I have no way of knowing abd anything can change but Victoria Groce is whi I'd bet my money on if I were a betting woman.  I'm not.