Honored Contributor

I HOPE YOU ARE WATCHING BAFTA Celebrates Dowton Abbey on NOW

Quick, it's almost over.  It's everyone getting awards nd back the sceen information.

Occasional Contributor

Re: I HOPE YOU ARE WATCHING BAFTA Celebrates Dowton Abbey on NOW

Oh, goodness yes !

Super Contributor

No, but will watch the last episode.

Honored Contributor

@bsnmsn Didn't you enjoy it?  It was a celebration of the show we all love watching.

I hope everyone who loves the show gets to see it.  It's fun to see them talk about something they loved as much as we did.

Contributor

Oh yes ! Happy and sad and so proud of being British. I wish this programme would go on for ever like Coronation Street. Downton Abbey is acting and televisiion at it's best.

As for Coronation street ....(.not to be judged same as Downton} I have been watching since it started before I came to America.

Honored Contributor

I love watching British shows.  The people look like REAL people, they act like real people.

Honored Contributor

I loved it.  Only wish they had skipped the singing, as beautiful as it was, and dedicated every moment to the show.  So interesting to see the costume department, hair and makeup and other production staff at work.  And the barriers to keep the public from seeing what they're filming!

The biggest surprise was that the servants' scenes are filmed in a studio, not Highclere.

I remember when the actor who played Matthew left, and he left to do a Broadway play, but when interviewed he said how utterly claustrophic the dining scenes were to film, sometimes eight or ten hours at that table.    In the BAFTA special Hugh Bonneville said they once spent three entire days on that set filming a 95-second scene.  Wow!

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori Once again, I find myself agreeing with you Lori!  No surprise as it happens often!  Ha!

On another thread I suggested to those who love the show watch the BAFTA show that came before it (if they didn't see it).

Don't you feel it helps to make one appreciate even more (if possible) everything that went into this show.

I agree about the singing.  You know when I was in high school, I skipped my Junior year of high school, in order to do that one of the things I had to do was complete a thesis paper on a subject.  I chose Operettas.  My favorite one is Pirates of Penzance.  Anyway, with that said, I still found the singing almost out of place, like thrown in.  I guess it's like the Oscars.  They would be even more boring had it not had some entertainment.  Not saying it is so, just saying maybe they felt that way.

Did you catch what the actress who played Mary said when talking about the language (i.e. which dialect they would use and why).  I found that interesting.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, absolutely everyone would love it.  I will watch it again (and FF through the singing, sorry Kiri Te Kanawa!).

I enjoyed the two "Manners of Downton Abbey" specials but this was more in depth and showed things not shown in those.  I could have watched three hours of the behind-the-scenes, especially the wigs and costumes and props!

Imagine, producing an authentic letter for the actor to "read", down to every single detail of authenticity, when it isn't even shown on camera!  Such devotion to details!

Honored Contributor

I watched the finale on my computer shortly after it aired in the UK. I am so glad I did as knowing none of the major characters died made watching the final season more pleasant  (and less stressful for me and my emotions)

I enjoyed every moment last night BUT that after show was lame. (IMO)