Valued Contributor

Re: Have you watched the credits of a movie lately?

I laugh out loud when they list the Honey Wagon Driver!

And the caterer too! (different vehicle.) LOL

Sometimes I watch the credits to see where it was filmed.

Valued Contributor

Since my movie watching is "by streaming," it's hard to read all the credits. But recently at the end of one where they were larger, I was surprised to see that the financing was arranged by my late neighbor's son who she'd said worked in "the industry."

A very good friend from college has been a writer on several TV series and I would always look for her name--not so many to sit through as for a movie.

Another friend from years ago is now a Foley artist (makes sounds in the background?) and was trained as an accoustics engineer. I have seen his name a couple of times. They typically make a decent living, not like the stars or producers of course. 

Some of the credits list enough people to make up a small town. 

Honored Contributor

Funny story. When Hubbs and I first started dating he commented that I was the only person he knew who actually watched the movie credits. I still do. Sometimes he even does.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

Yes, something I always pay attention to - beginning & end of a film. The end credits in a contemporary movie is the best part for the music.

Agree. The first music I fell in love that way was at the end of the movie about the  little critters you couldn't get wet at night.  I'll think of it.  Gremlins!!!

Then the beginning of Steel Magnolias, I love that music.  Got the movie so I could hear it more often too.  Mouth organ, harmonica. Oh!! Love it.

Honored Contributor

I sometimes do, there are times when there are additional scenes at the end you might miss. Also most streaming services once the film is over count you down to go on to something else unless you press the button to watch the credits. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it is a movie that I absolutely love I will stay in the theater till the end, like to see filming locations and also it's amazing to see how many people it takes to actually make a movie, especially these blockbusters.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom @Commoner Exec Mr Wilkes  - I also watch the credits.  I think it is appropriate to list everyone who particiated to make it come together - no matter how small the task.

I like seeing the locations of the movie and when there is music, what artists were involved.

Love when they show bloopers!  Those scenes are hilarious!

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

When I went to the movies I always waited to the end of the credits.  Could be at least 10 minutes.  I think it's in the contracts that the people have to be given "credit" regardless of what they do, e.g., "caterers" (!!) accountant (!!!), etc.  So ridiculous.  

If I helped with a movie, even if my task was small, I would appreciate seeing my name on the big screen.  Why not give credit to everyone who contributed.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deeva wrote:

I've often wondered how many of those people are really necessary. 

@deeva   @kaydee50

Of course they are necessary, and most union contracts demand every person that worked on the film so proper benefits documentation is assurred. 

It can make the difference whether a person keeps their health insurance or not.  

Most people have virtually no idea how complicated movie-making is.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal  @cjm61 @stevieb @San Antonio Gal   who is credited and who isn't is actually part of the contracts that get movies done, like caterers, trailer suppliers, municipalities, etc..  Sometimes people that were not involved in the final product are credited, and sometimes people that did participate in the making of a film are not credited.  For example, writers, producers who worked on the earlier stages of a film that was completely changed along the way are often credited.  Big people negotiate where they are positioned in the credits.

I watched Interstellar when it came out and was surprised to see Matt Damon in the movie because he was not credited and he is in it and, of course, a big star with a not insignificant role.

But that is what was negotiated and agreed to and done.

(I have done some work in the film/entertainment industry.)