Trusted Contributor

Have you seen the documentary of the Lindberg Kidnapping?

I just started watching and I have seen past shows of this and felt like the killed the wrong man.  Any one that wants to respond I would appreicate this as it is still a mystery.

Honored Contributor

Re: Have you seen the documentary of the Lindberg Kidnapping?

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

I just started watching and I have seen past shows of this and felt like the killed the wrong man.  Any one that wants to respond I would appreicate this as it is still a mystery.

Do you have the name of the documentary? I've seen a few shows about the Lindberg kidnapping and read one of the books about it, but I don't know if I've seen the one you're talking about.

I've been fascinated by this case since I was a teenager and, like you, think it's very possible they executed an innocent man. I don't know if Bruno Hauptmann was involved or not. The money was the best evidence against him, but I don't know if he was involved, was framed, or even had evidence planted by the police because of the pressures to solve the case and an easy foreign scapegoat during a time when it was easy to vilify a German immigrant.

I've never supported the death penalty and Bruno Hauptmann is one of the reasons why. If you put someone in prison for life, you can at least let him go if you find out you got it wrong. There are no backsies if you kill an innocent person.

If you think this case is interesting, I would encourage you to read David Grann's New Yorker article, Trial by Fire. It's about the case of Cameron Todd Willingham, a man executed by the state of Texas despite the fact that newer evidence indicated the testimony of the investigators was based on false theories of fire and the way fires start and move. I'm convinced he was innocent and there's no way to make up for what was done to him. You can read his story here: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/09/07/trial-by-fire

Trusted Contributor

Oh no I will check out your post and it is on Netflix about the Kidnappin of the Lingberg baby................they are talking about John Noles...............

Trusted Contributor

One man thinks Lindberg was behind the kidnapping because he wanted his son very healthy...........and charlie had some physical problems and Lindberg had an imperfect child..............lindburg did keep a lot of secrets and hid things from the police.........and the child could not stand up straight and could have had rickets...........so it could have been lindberg behind the death of his son...............wow...........makes sense..............

Trusted Contributor

No one really knew that the baby was where it was, in Hopewell not at the regular estate and lindberg was not at the place he was to be..............he had forgotten an appointment and he could have directed the kidnapping from the inside............I think he was behind it.........I really do.

Trusted Contributor

Lindberg believed in a perfet race.............and he had families in Germany.........Lindberg secretly fathered children without his wife and others knowing and some of his german children spoke the truth in Germany............and Hitler wanted a perfect society and better race and he did not mind spreading around his spern..........I took out the M

Trusted Contributor

Lindberg took charge of his sons case..............did not want to police involved..........so someone had to give vital insite information and a lady by the name Violet gave information about the baby...............and she drank silver polish and she was dead............so they say she was emotionally disturbed but she must have had guility feelings............and she might has said to someone the Lindbergs were in Hopewell............

Trusted Contributor

It appears John Noles was cementary John Noles and he did leave on a ship that was $700 and that was a lot of money back in those days like six years of rent and he went on a spending spree and he takes off when the man was convicted............crazy..........does not surprise me that Lindberg was involved........especially since he fathered many children in Germany and wanted perfect children and Lindberg made mistakes and he maintained controll over the whole investigation............and people did bow to him of who he was.............so he helped the bad guys...........he did keep police away from the cementary............

Trusted Contributor

That precious child................that poor mother and I have one of her books GIFT FROM THE SEA.............I love Ann Morrow Lindberg.............

Trusted Contributor

Mr. Douglas is working on the case still becaucse he does not want anyone to get away with it it is called WHO KILLED THE LINDBERG BABY?