Super Contributor

Re: Has Anybody Stopped Watching Soap Operas?

@Shelbelle wrote:

Been watching Days since its inception in 1965, it is just a part of my day, I will be with it until it leaves the airways. 

I watch all 4 of them.  Been following DOOL since the first day and love it.  Will watch them till the Hourglass runs dry which I hope is not for a looooong time.

Honored Contributor

Any Days watchers here who have not already participated on our Days thread, please feel free to join us, we are a fun group, and discuss everything from A to Z concerning the show and the cast. 

Respected Contributor

I, too, watched Days of Our Lives for many years, and then I stopped.  Characters I liked were being compromised in ways I did not like to see all for the ever changing plot directions, and characters I liked were killed off (even though many returned years later, anyway-- back from the dead).  Then, they brought in many new characters that I didn't ever come to like in the first place, and all the more established characters were made to take a back seat to the new, younger actors.  I guess, I finally had enough of all that.  Although it might be worthwhile to check in and see once again how Dr. Marlena Evans (Diedre Hall) looks.  She probably still looks as incredibly young as she has looked in decades past.  I have no idea how she accomplishes that.  She is has found a way to defy aging. She's now 71????  How is that possible?

Honored Contributor

Dee turns 72 this month, still a beauty. her twin has not aged nearly as well. How is that??

Respected Contributor

I watched both Guiding Light and As The World Turns when they were on for 15 minutes. Once you in awhile, especially Friday’s they would really have a good cliff hanger and all we could do then is talk about it among our friends and neighbors because there was no internet. Once in awhile I will watch some old Guiding Light episodes on YouTube like the days of Bert Bauer and Papa Bauer, the acting seemed much sterner back in the day!
Honored Contributor

I watch Y&R and The Bold and the Beautiful off and on. Most of the time I am multi-tasking because the shows are a far cry from the glamorous sets and people they once were. I guess you could say, I like the nostalgia of watching a show for so many years. I will be sad when they go off the air, though.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My grandma and I watched General Hospital way back when Jesse Brewer was the head nurse. When I left for college, she would write me and keep me up on what happened. I would catch up on it when I was working in the summers, when school was out. Then came the advent of the VCR. So for all those years I watched. Now that I'm retired, I can watch it in real time or watch it on demand. Yes, I gripe about the writers all the time, but for some reason I can't just walk away. It's a life habit, I guess, and no matter how frustrated I get with the story lines, I still watch. Go figure.

A funny story about my dad: he used to tell us how stupid the Soaps were that we were watching. In the 70's he retired after 33 years with the FAA and got a part time job fixing electronics at an television and stereo store. The next thing I knew, he was quoting things that happened on The Young and the Restless. I found out that while he was adjusting the televisions or fixing them, he had that Soap on. It's still funny to me after all these years, since he was the absolute last person who would ever watch that stuff. God rest his soul.

Trusted Contributor

When I was in college (back in the stone age) we all used to rush to the student union at noon to watch All My Children.  After marriage and the birth of my daughter I used to watch that one and Y & R while folding MOUNTAINS of diapers.  Followed those all through my mommy years.  After daughter went away to college I found other things to do: spent more time with my husband and went to graduate school.  Cared for my first husband until he passed away and then went to work.  Haven't seen a soap in years.

Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

I stopped watching Bold and Beautiful and Y & R a long time ago.  If they brought back As the World Turns and Guiding Light, I'd watch again.  IMO those soaps were much more fun to watch than talk shows.  

I remember one of the soaps back in the 1960's that our baby sitter used to watch that had some  dramatic theme song - not sure if it was Guiding Light  or Days of our Lives.

I began watching Young & the Restless  when it first came on the air . However as soon as I graduated college  and began a full time job , I had no time nor interest in the soaps . I was all into my career and  raising my daughter.  Have never gone back to soaps , although I do like a good mini series . Loved the old  miniseries  staring Richard Chamberlain   such as the 1980  "  Shogun " by James Clavell  and the 1983 "  Thorn Birds "

Esteemed Contributor

I stopped watching them in the late 1970s. I used to watch the CBS soaps when my children were little. Once I went back to work, I washed those soaps away. I thought I’d tape them but I soon grew tired of the idea. I suspect I was not alone in turning off soap operas.