Esteemed Contributor

I watch MSNBC but did not watch Chris Matthews very much. Despite his wealth of experience, he interrupted his guests to the point where I could not tune in any longer. (Note to Joe Scarborough...pay attention to rude interruptions). In any case, I did see John Oliver's parody of Chris Matthews' troubled sign-offs. It was a true depiction of. Matthews' stumbling speech. CM is at least a year older than I am. There comes a time when it's best to move aside, retire, and let the next generation take over.

Honored Contributor

I will miss him, I don't care who what show they put in his place, they will lose viewers.  Yes, he's 74 and he made a few gaffes recently but he had a base of fans.   Sadly, he's in that generation of men who are an easy target for the #metoo women.  I think it's wrong to judge people for things they might have said years or decades in the past by today's standards.  No one would have found fault with the comment he made until very recently and it was neither offensive nor insulting....until a year or two ago.  But I think CNN has wanted him gone for  while simply because he's 74 and they want someone one young who they think can attract younger viewers.  He wanted to go on his own time schedule, they wanted him out yesterday. So they fired him, even if they want to pretend they didn't.  I like they way he did it!  Without pretense or lies.  This is what happened....good bye!   

Honored Contributor

I was watching this last night, Chris made his speech, then abruptly they went to a commercial break ( a long one at that). I was under the impression Chris was going to anchor the program, I have to wonder if he left or the show didn't want him to continue. I have thought he had been off his game for awhile. Steve Kornacki, looked like a deer caught in the headlights, he was thrown to the wolves I don't think he had any idea he would have to anchor the show. The whole thing was very uncomfortable to watch.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I will miss him, I don't care who what show they put in his place, they will lose viewers.  Yes, he's 74 and he made a few gaffes recently but he had a base of fans.   Sadly, he's in that generation of men who are an easy target for the #metoo women.  I think it's wrong to judge people for things they might have said years or decades in the past by today's standards.  No one would have found fault with the comment he made until very recently and it was neither offensive nor insulting....until a year or two ago.  But I think CNN has wanted him gone for  while simply because he's 74 and they want someone one young who they think can attract younger viewers.  He wanted to go on his own time schedule, they wanted him out yesterday. So they fired him, even if they want to pretend they didn't.  I like they way he did it!  Without pretense or lies.  This is what happened....good bye!   

According to the schedule, CNN is airing a show anchored by Erin Burnett in Mr. Matthews' former time slot.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

He was with MSNBC, not CNN.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

According to the schedule, CNN is airing a show anchored by Erin Burnett in Mr. Matthews' former time slot.

That makes sense, they wanted to give the time slot to a new show hosted by a young woman.  The old guy just wouldn't get his wrinkled self out of the way fast enough....LOL   Brian Williams should look out, they're coming for him next.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

3E49E40B-A06F-4554-A463-9F33DE377DAC.jpeg

The only thing I can say, was it should have happened 30 years ago.Never never watch that station.

Honored Contributor

need some new blood.... younger and more interesting.  Good that he is gone

Respected Contributor

One of my favorites to watch.   I will miss him.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

I watch MSNBC but did not watch Chris Matthews very much. Despite his wealth of experience, he interrupted his guests to the point where I could not tune in any longer. (Note to Joe Scarborough...pay attention to rude interruptions). In any case, I did see John Oliver's parody of Chris Matthews' troubled sign-offs. It was a true depiction of. Matthews' stumbling speech. CM is at least a year older than I am. There comes a time when it's best to move aside, retire, and let the next generation take over.

Isn't mocking people the main stay of the late night shows now?  Isn't that what they are all about?

I miss funny, witty late shows, with interesting guests who had fun and also sometimes discussed serious subjects in an intelligent way.  Of course barring that unfortunate ****** Cavett/Jane Fonda cat fight. . . but that was not the norm them.