Respected Contributor

Hallmark Movie - Sweet Carolina.

For those of you who watched this movie...what did you think of it?   I read an article where Lacey Chabert talked about how this movie was a departure from the usual Hallmark fare.  

I certainly didn't see that.  To me, it was the usual story of girl leaves big city and comes back home and meets her high school love interest and reconnects with him. 

I really didn't care much for this movie.  To start, I don't care for Tyler Hynes at all.  I know that everyone has different opinions but I don't find him particularly attractive. It may be his hair.  In every movie that he is in it is always disheveled.  

I thought the whole premise of the movie was slow and certainly not realistic.  Why would a sister make her unmarried and career oriented sister the legal guardian of her children?  The parents were certainly capable of raising the children.  

Then shall we talk about the kids.  It seemed like within a short time after their parents were killed the kids just went back to their normal lives.  The girl was more interested in her basketball games and I'm not sure exactly what point the boy played.  It seemed like the mourning period only lasted a few short days.  

There were so many silly scenes but the one that really stood out was when Josie went to the girl that her nephew had a crush on and asked her how she felt about him.  Could they have made her look any more like a junior high school girl?  I expected her to send the girl a note saying "do you like my nephew" mark yes or no.  

I didn't have high hopes for this movie and it certainly didn't disappoint.

Respected Contributor

Re: Hallmark Movie - Sweet Carolina.

[ Edited ]

I watched the movie and thought it was pretty good. I thought the story was much more interesting than most Hallmark movies, which are usually just mindless fluff ( which I admit I watch). The topic was serious and made you stop and think how a life could change in an instant.

I like Tyler Haynes. He is a little more intense in his acting. I also do not think he is particularly handsome, but I like his take-charge personality. As far as his hair I get the feeling he is wearing a really bad toupee, but who knows.

I think it was very realistic that Lacey Chabert made guardian. Her sister thought the world of her, and thought she was very intelligent. In lots of circumstances grandparents are not made guardians as you do not want them to pass while the children are young.the mourning period is different for everyone, but let's be realistic it was a two hour movie. As for Josie going to speak to the girlfriend, yes that was almost silly, but I think the writers wanted to show she was going to make lots of mistakes, but learn from them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@J Town Girl  I agree with everything you said about the movie. I realize Hallmark movies are fantasy, fluff and predicable but Lacey's interview set the expectation this was a different type of movie and it actually wasn't. I didn't care for the characters either.

I much prefer the mysteries on on the Movies & Mysteries channel.  

Honored Contributor

That's Hallmark for ya!

Honored Contributor

Not being a fan of Chabert and being of the opinion that Hynes is one of Hallmark's numerous 'leading men' who, to me, doesn't begin to meet the criteria for being a leading man, I opted not to watch. I had little doubt that their version of a 'departure' would be akin to QVC's version of a 'big announcement', meaning it wouldn't veer far from their usual formula. No regrets about having missed it. Moreover, I believe Hallmark did a Christmas movie about someone 'inheriting' kids to raise, so this is hardly a fresh concept for Hallmark.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@J Town Girl IMP if you have seen one Hallmark or Lifetime movie you have seen them akll. Same story lines and poor acting.

Contributor

I really enjoyed Sweet Carolina starring Lacey Chabert and Tyler Hynes. It was definitely a slight departure from the usual Hallmark movies and quite emotional at times. I'm a fan of Tyler Hynes and find him to be both intense and comedic, depending on the scene. I will say, however, his hair was a distraction at times, but I did read elsewhere that it was not a wig, but simply his hair being longer for other roles. I don't care for a center part on men though! I've always been a fan of Hallmark movies for one simple reason - with the world, and especially our country, being in turmoil, there is so much sad and disturbing news that I find Hallmark movies to be a great diversion. I don't expect realistic award-winning performances, but just a feel-good two hour movie.. It's been a great escape while isolating during this pandemic. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lacey Chabert is my most favorite Hallmark actress. She's sweet, and talented. And she can act! Tyler Hynes seems very easy-going and comfortable in his own skin. He does not over act like some of the male Hallmark actors. I have not watched it yet, but I did tape it. I expect it to be along the lines of the other Hallmark movies. 

Trusted Contributor

Lacy Chabert wrote the movie script and was an Executive Producer. 

I would like to see new faces insted of the same actors rotated for every movie.

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

For those of you who watched this movie...what did you think of it?   I read an article where Lacey Chabert talked about how this movie was a departure from the usual Hallmark fare...

...I didn't have high hopes for this movie and it certainly didn't disappoint.

@J Town Girl   if Lacey Chabert convinced herself this was a departure from the formulaic Hallmark fare we are familiar with, that could be the best acting she's ever done.

Like you I didn't have high hopes and even my lower ones weren't met.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.