Honored Contributor

HEAVY-HITTING CLASSICS ON TCM SATURDAY

Quite the schedule today:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/

Leading off with my "top fiver" movie of all time, Orson Welles' "The Magnificent Ambersons" at 2:15 p.m. Eastern.

But there's also:

"The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" 

"Ride the High Country"

And Eddie Muller caps it off with film noir "Double Indemnity" at midnight eastern.

Also, if you're in the mood for a lesser known (and infrequently aired) Spencer Tracy/Katharine Hepburn movie, there's:

10:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Keeper of the Flame"   Spencer Tracy is a reporter wanting to write about a deceased hero, and goes to his estate to gather material, but the man's affluent widow (Hepburn) and other insiders increasingly arouse suspicion about the man's life and death.

This has long been considered a bit of a Tracy/Hepburn misstep, and George Cukor the director, disliked his own film!  I agree, it's lugubrious and "talky", with a lot of high-flown sentiments, but can be enjoyed merely for the deepening mystery that Tracy starts to unravel at the luxurious, remote locale...

Tracy's fab, as always.  He looks surprisingly good on a horse, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixomTjYIZMs   

Honored Contributor

Re: HEAVY-HITTING CLASSICS ON TCM SATURDAY

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre--great performances by both Bogart and Walter Huston--and Double Indemnity, one of my all time favorites.  A "heavy hitting" day indeed!!

Honored Contributor

Also, at noon is the movie A Tale of Two Cities. It is a heart tugger. 

Trusted Contributor

"Murder on the Bridal Path" on around 10 AM is light, but charming.  The female lead is Helen Broderick who was Broderick Crawford's mother (just a little trivia). 

Honored Contributor

Ambersons is one of my favorites as I've mentioned before.

Agnes Moorehead and the guy who plays the spoiled brat crack me up.

Honored Contributor

@blueroses47, I love Helen Broderick!  She was so amusing and perfect as a sidekick in some Astaire and Rogers films-- gifted comedienne!

Honored Contributor

I have always liked " Keeper of the Flame," and try too watch it whenever it is on.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I forgot to note for nightowls or DVR'ers that Hitchcock's beloved "Lifeboat" is on at 2:15 a.m. Eastern, with interesting performances by John Hodiak, Tallulah Bankhead, and Walter Slezak.  Passengers set adrift at sea by a naval attack during World War II, struggle to survive in their tiny vessel...

Respected Contributor

I cannot watch Tracy or Hepburn. Just two actors that I don’t like.
Honored Contributor

Yeah, @Catiele, I'm not crazy about Hepburn either.  Tracy I've developed a respect for-- I do like how subtle his acting is, rarely anything "big" or "put on"....