Honored Contributor

There is a way for them to get together is for spouse to die. It did happen in real life.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

The policeman's girlfriend has thrown the gauntlet - I thought I was pregnant - I wasn't - but we have to prepare for the possibility.  She also tells him she wants kids.  So clearly, she's saying that she wants to get pregnant and that if they continue, she probably will and she will expect him to "do the right thing" - i.e., leave his wife and marry her.

The Vicar  has made his choice too.  As he told his friend, "it's harder with God."  So since he apparently thinks God has no power to help him and that he must do whatever he does all in his own strength, and since he is a broken vessel after all, he then preaches a sermon telling his flock to seize the day and do whatever they need to do to be "happy" because we only have this one life.  Wow.  That's a bit off theologically to say the least.

And the Assistant Vicar asked his girlfriend to marry him - not because he loves her, but because it will be "easier" for him - for now at least.

Looks like none of this will end well. 

I havent really watched before, only bits and pieces.  Last week and this week it caught my attention.  One question. Did the Ass Vicar have a relationship with a man in the past?  I thought the Vicar asked him did he feel about the lady who was after him the way he had felt about Daniel??

I have missed some so I am not sure if he actually had a sexual relationship with a man, but he definitely had feelings for him and believes himself to be homosexual.

Respected Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

There is a way for them to get together is for spouse to die. It did happen in real life.

Which spouse - the policeman's, Amanda's, the Assistant Vicar's (if he later becomes involved with someone else)?

Esteemed Contributor

I've watched from the beginning. Despite this week's steamy episode, I think the vicar and the woman he loves are doomed. Remember, this is the 1950's, when social conventions and religious rules were so rigid that they forced people to make decisions that doomed them to a life of unhappiness. If there's a season 4, which may not happen, we'll likely be stuck with an unsatisfying ending. This is a great series, with excellent plot lines of other characters, but I imagine the beautiful James Norton will be moving on. That's sad, because the acting and plot lines of Grantchester are quite good.

Respected Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I've watched from the beginning. Despite this week's steamy episode, I think the vicar and the woman he loves are doomed. Remember, this is the 1950's, when social conventions and religious rules were so rigid that they forced people to make decisions that doomed them to a life of unhappiness. If there's a season 4, which may not happen, we'll likely be stuck with an unsatisfying ending. This is a great series, with excellent plot lines of other characters, but I imagine the beautiful James Norton will be moving on. That's sad, because the acting and plot lines of Grantchester are quite good.

Not sure the church "rules" are really different today.  This is not to say there aren't religious leaders who wouldn't say the same thing as the Vicar - Do whatever you need to do to be happy.  However, that probably doesn't offer much comfort to the spouses who are left in the lurch.

And it wasn't the rules of the church that forced Amanda to make bad decisions that doomed her to unhappiness.  She very willingly dumped the Vicar to marry her husband.  The Vicar tried to stop her marriage.  She refused.  He accepted it.  She came back into his life.  It did, indeed, put him in a difficult position.  However, I still think it is sad to now blame God for all this - rather than to even try to ask for His help to get out of the situation.

Respected Contributor

Re: Grantchester

[ Edited ]

As they came together on the stairs and it went to black I said  "dam* you PBS! I know the BBC had more!! Cheated!"

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

How do you know the BBC had more? 

Respected Contributor

Dramatic license!  But they always do!!

Honored Contributor

Will he leave his faith for her?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I am guessing not.