Honored Contributor

Funny or Humorous Lines From Movies

Please share!

One of my favorites is from The Goodbye Girl. Lucy says to Paula her mom about Elliot (the Richard Drey fuss character):  "I like him. He reminds me of a dog that nobody wants."  It still makes me chuckle.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Funny or Humorous Lines From Movies

The one that always comes to mind is in "A League of Their Own" when Tom Hanks sees one of the women players crying, and he is incredulous and says" Are you crying?  Are you CRYING?  There is no crying in baseball."

Honored Contributor

"Clairee" in Steel Magnolias:  "If you can't say something nice about someone, come sit by me."

Honored Contributor

I don't remember a lot anymore, but this one has stuck in my head for  many years.  It's the Travolta character, from Urban Cowboy, speaking - 

“All cowboys ain't dumb. Some of 'em got smarts real good, like me.”

Respected Contributor

In the movie the Graduate when Ben tells Mr. Robinson that his affair with Mrs. Robinson meant nothing to him. It was just like shaking hands. Mr. Robinson then tells him that doesn't say much for my wife. I always laugh at that scene.
Honored Contributor

Almost any line from Caddyshack !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Moonstruck,  Do you Love him, Loretta.   Ma, I love him awful.  Oh God, that's too bad!  The exchange between Olympia Dukakis and Cher, love it.

Honored Contributor

This is probably my favorite from The Birdcage-as Albert tries to appear as a straight guy before meeting Val's fiance's parents~

"Albert : I'm just... a guy!

Armand : What about those?

[Gesturing to Albert's pink socks] 

Albert : These? Well, one does want a hint of color."

Everytime someone says well and then pauses in real life, it makes me laugh.

And some interesting history behind one of the most famous lines-

The Godfather-

'Leave the gun, take the cannoli' was improvised

One of the most immortalized lines in cinema was improvised by Richard S. Castellano, who played Peter Clemenza, a capo charged with killing Martino's Gatto.
Mar 24, 2022"

Apparently, it was from a suggestion by his real live wife onscreen and off to add "take the cannoli" to tie into the reference to her previous request earlier in the scene to pick up some cannoli.
The original line was just-"take the gun."
Bravo to Ardell sheridan, his wife for such a clever line!

It is interesting how some lines like,
"I"ll make him an offer he can't refuse,"
become part of our speech used in real life.

And, this one,
"I don't believe we're in Kansas anymore." Of course from Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

Just about any line from Airplane!, including, but not limited to:

"Surely you can't be serious?"

"I am serious, and don't call me Shirley!"

"What's the vector, Victor?"

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines."

Trusted Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

Moonstruck,  Do you Love him, Loretta.   Ma, I love him awful.  Oh God, that's too bad!  The exchange between Olympia Dukakis and Cher, love it.

Moonstruck is full of wonderful dialogue!  I really like ,when at the end of La Boheme, at the Met,  Cher says, re Mimi:  "She died.  I didn't think she was gonna die!"