Respected Contributor

I finally watched it tonight and didn't like it at all. I didn't smile or chuckle once.

Honored Contributor

I don't think it's funny either. But that's why there are lots of shows. I like shows my family can't stand.

Super Contributor

I watch the show. Some parts are funny. Some of it is not so funny. I'm giving it one more week. Then I'll decide whether or not I will continue watching it.

I watched ten minutes of Blackish and turned it off. I hate that show. It is not funny. Seems contrived and a bit ridiculous. The title alone is offensive.

Trusted Contributor

I convinced my brother to watch and he said that they must have channeled our mom's spirit for the character of the mom. Being the rebel in the family of two kids, I can absolutely resonate with the oldest kid though my brother has his smart mouth more than I do, my mom could testify that I was the one who bucked the system of ancient Asian/Japanese customs..........{#emotions_dlg.w00t} My Japanese relatives always kindly blamed my antics on the "other" side of my heritage. {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Frequent Contributor
On 2/10/2015 FlowershopGirl said:

Being half-Asian, this show resonates with me in many ways. The show is written by an Asian man and he hits the nail on the head in a lot of scenes and scenarios. The mom is priceless, and so true to character in some instances. She has a dream for her children, and she loves them greatly but she wants them to excel, especially in school. The writer knows Asian mothers very well indeed. Smiley Happy When she blasted the principal I thought that scene was so funny and true. I see the humor in the situations because honestly, much of it is taken right from real life in some Asian communities.

Love this show...the mother is outstanding.

Honored Contributor

I'm enjoying the show, even though I did miss the premiere. I just watched the current episode last night and it was pretty hilarious. I like the mother and her oldest boy the best.

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/26/2015 Giordan said:
On 2/10/2015 FlowershopGirl said:

Being half-Asian, this show resonates with me in many ways. The show is written by an Asian man and he hits the nail on the head in a lot of scenes and scenarios. The mom is priceless, and so true to character in some instances. She has a dream for her children, and she loves them greatly but she wants them to excel, especially in school. The writer knows Asian mothers very well indeed. Smiley Happy When she blasted the principal I thought that scene was so funny and true. I see the humor in the situations because honestly, much of it is taken right from real life in some Asian communities.

Love this show...the mother is outstanding.

I love the mother too!! I'm happy I decided to DVR it. I like everyone in the family - love the younger sons (especially the one with all the girlfriends!)
Honored Contributor

I watched a little of it because you guys like it so much. Parts were funny to me, but some, not so much. But then that's what makes TV so good, some like it some don't.

What I do like is reading all of your posts. I enjoy reading who likes what and why they like something. I just find it interesting.

Thanks for taking time to post. I benefit from it because it helps me see things from different sides I wouldn't otherwise see.

Frequent Contributor
I enjoyed most of the last show. Eddie, eldest son, at least learned a good life lesson and bonded more with his dad. He wasn't being as selfish and as spoiled as usual.Dad is so earnest you just want his restaurant to be successful. The actor Randall Park, Dad, is very good and has the nicest smile. He is in the movie The Interview; Kim Jong Un should be flattered as he will never ever look that handsome. Mom, actor Constance Wu, was hilarious as she told it like it us at the open houses. Being a real estate agent is perfect for her character. Btw, occasional rain, perms were the "in" thing of the 80's & 90's. Men & women had perms all the time as it was trendy. I am mostly Asian and Hawaiian; I have the straightest hair that would hold a curl for only 5 minutes unless it was permed (really annoying). For a time I had my waist length hair permed. It was fun to actually have lift and body to my hair. At the time, having black really straight hair suggested that you just arrived from Asia, as in "fresh off the boat". I live in Hawaii, everyone was an immigrant off some boat, at some time. My generation was American and the wavy curly Caucasion hair was desirable then. My curly haired friends wanted my straight hair - you know, "grass is always greener" syndrome. I love my hair straight now. My husband is 1/3 Japanese & the rest Caucasian. He has really thick wavy hair that gets unruly as it grows out. When he had it long though (little past shoulders), most women would have killed to have such beautiful full wavy hair.
Honored Contributor
I loved the preview commercoals, was not i pressed with the premier ep, but will try again. I do like the mother and the grandmother. Not sold yet on the son.