Honored Contributor

Re: Frank Langella Under Investigation

Just perhaps things have gone too freaking far.

Please alert me when the cultural revolution begins because it's time we got back to sanity and common sense.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:
Spoiler

Perhaos he's suffering from senility, especially if he's never done these things before.

@Kachina624    yes, dirty old man syndrome

Honored Contributor

I read the article to read that the leg touching was scripted.  If it wasn't maybe he was asking if she liked his improvisation of the script.  

Personally, I would not be offended by anything said in that article.  Even the part about the leg touching and the question afterwards if the touching was scripted or even considered appropriate by the director and it didn't violate personal areas, and I'm not a touchy feely kind of person.  To tell you the truth, I've probably said worse in my younger days.  Actually, I know I have.  With today's standards, you would be appalled.  

I was asked once at work whether I was going to report someone to HR for a comment they made to me.  I said I wasn't offended.  They told me I should be.  I told them I get to decide what offends me and I wasn't offended.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to think I was liberal-minded but I know that some who are younger than me would be offended by some of my favorite jokes, comments, and general way of life. Each of us is entitled to our opinion. I am offended by some things I hear and see but I would not have someone fired or ban him forever for a relatively innocuous comment. There are differences between an evil predator like Epstein or Weinsteinor Cosby, and a silly former comedian who became a senator, took one dumb photo, and was forced to give up his entire career. 

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

My God he is 84.  Old school. I,m 86 and we always made jokes men and women in the old days.  We used to joke with the guys and show them the "FREDRICKS OF HOLLYWOOD" magazines.

I was walking my dog the other day, and an old coot gave me a complement about my teenage figure.  I called him and old fool and we laughed.

I loved when I got whistles and a guy said, you look beautiful, or you look nice.

now the touching, no, off limits, but no one wants to be told  they are a beautiful female  anymore, but they show everything the way they dress.

At least we dressed like ladies in my day and loved a complement.

Like, I said, Inappropriate touching is a no no, but complements good god.

Sorry,if I offended anyone here, but things today are ridicilious.

@qvcaddition 

What one woman considers a "compliment",  others could interpret as creepy and repulsive.  

Trusted Contributor

@gardenman
If a man ran his ringer over your leg and asked you if you liked it, would you be okay with that? If a man commented on your body and continued to comment even though you tried to ignore, would you be OK with that? Serious questions.
Trusted Contributor

@Vivian
That Senator realized what he had done was wrong. His colleagues agreed there was no place for that kind of stink in their group. At least some hold their own accountable.
Esteemed Contributor

One would think after what has happened to his contemporaries, Mr. Langella would have acted differently.  But no, he's still operating like in the good ol' boy world.

Can't teach an old dog new tricks. 

Esteemed Contributor

Gardenman's post was well written. He said exactly how I feel. Maybe it would be best if men and women don't acknowledge each other off camera. That way no one can be offended about something that was said. Just ignore each other completely. 

At least a person can't accuse another of harassment if they're being ignored.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

My God he is 84.  Old school. I,m 86 and we always made jokes men and women in the old days.  We used to joke with the guys and show them the "FREDRICKS OF HOLLYWOOD" magazines.

I was walking my dog the other day, and an old coot gave me a complement about my teenage figure.  I called him and old fool and we laughed.

I loved when I got whistles and a guy said, you look beautiful, or you look nice.

now the touching, no, off limits, but no one wants to be told  they are a beautiful female  anymore, but they show everything the way they dress.

At least we dressed like ladies in my day and loved a complement.

Like, I said, Inappropriate touching is a no no, but complements good god.

Sorry,if I offended anyone here, but things today are ridicilious.

@qvcaddition 

What one woman considers a "compliment",  others could interpret as creepy and repulsive.  

Do you think it's the age era a  person grew up with. I am 86 and got a compliement the other day from someone a male that couldn't believe my age. I keep myself up, wear light makeup and dress well when I leave my house.  I don't look 50's, but even women have said they thought I looked in my 60's.

When a male said to me years ago or even today, it's a compliment, not creepy to me or repulsive.  A women can tell when they are being creepy and have an alternative motive.

I WOULD NOT LIKE THAT.  If I dressed like a "Wh*** that is different.  We dressed like ladies in the work place years ago.  If I didn't like it, I would have wore baggy pants, a shirt and not cared about my appearance.  I have always cared how I looked for myself, but got many compliments from male and females alike. Still do.  The compliments were not from a sexy look, but from a well groomed look, which we don't see much of today.

In my opinion and only my opinion for myself, I liked compliments and whistles.  TO EACH THEIR OWN.