Honored Contributor

Re: Farmer Bachelor Arrested

[ Edited ]

@ROMARY wrote:

It could be or Could it be that he was stunned, walking away from the accident. (?)  Sometimes the force of the crash could possibly stunn a driver, and that person could aimlessly walk around.  Just thinking about the possibilities.  Very sad situation for the injured and the deceased.  RIP. 

Good point.  I just can't imagine anyone doing that.  He seemed like an "ok" guy.  

Edited to add:  One of my friends told me he has previous "issues".  I think he left for fear of being tested and convicted.  Stupid and terrible mistake.  I feel for the family of the deceased.  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Not condoning his behavior, but what was a tractor doing on the road at 1 a.m..

Tractors we had were huge and had HUGE floodlights and blinking lights all over   Something like those would be rather difficult to miss. Lots of times framers have to plow or gather crops or plant seeds before bad weather comes in.  Sometimes you have to finish one field and move equipment to the next or go back to where your pickup is--which might be down the road a-piece.  

Not all tractors are HUGE,  yes they are on the roads sometimes after dark and most have some lighting (have never seen one with lights blinking all over) which must comply with highway rules.  Point is they are ALL slow moving and I was questioning one being on the road at 1 a.m.  At that hour you could easily misjudge the speed and come up to quickly on the tractor.  In my area there is the same issue with Amish buggies.  Many of the roads have hills and turns with speed limits that are 50 mph +.  During daylight hours or when these vehicles are known to be on the roads everyone is looking out for them, not at 1 a.m.

As explained the accident was earlier in the evening, which explained why the tractor was on the road. Which still does not excuse his behavior.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I'm all about forgiveness with initial mistakes.  He's been in trouble before. 

Valued Contributor

You're right! I never liked him in that season.  He seemed dumb, too, and couldn't carry on an intelligent or emotional conversation.  How sad that he would drive drunk, kill someone, and leave the scene.  

Respected Contributor

Once he made it home, he can now just claim that he took a drink at home to calm his nerves.  Their DWI case is going to go right out the door. No way to prove it now.  I'm betting ... reckless driving and leaving the scene of an accident with injuries. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Esteemed Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

Once he made it home, he can now just claim that he took a drink at home to calm his nerves.  Their DWI case is going to go right out the door. No way to prove it now.  I'm betting ... reckless driving and leaving the scene of an accident with injuries. 

Wouldn't he also be facing manslaughter?

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

yes

Respected Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

Perhaps involuntary manslaughter - which can be a felony or a misdemeanor. But I think the fact that they can't prove he was drunk will hurt their case. I'm just guessing what it will be pled down to the charges I stated.  IF he does jail time, it probably won't be more than a year. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

Did the officials actually collect blood samples or breath test samples to prove the presence of etoh? Or are they going on what they found in his vehicle...containers?

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Did the officials actually collect blood samples or breath test samples to prove the presence of etoh? Or are they going on what they found in his vehicle...containers?

Well he wasn't apprehended until hours later because it took a long time to get search warrants for his home and vehicle.  So even IF so, the validity of the sample will be called into question by any good lawyer.

They only focused on him because there was a witness. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )