Honored Contributor

Re: Everybody Loves Raymond - The Pilot Episode 1996

TVGN, now called POP is running a show now on the history of ELR, very interesting.

Super Contributor

On 1/17/2015 Shelbelle said:

TVGN, now called POP is running a show now on the history of ELR, very interesting.

Shelbelle, that's the one I was talking about.

annabellethecat, I always thought that the voice she used on Friends wasn't her real voice, that she exaggerated it for that role because the show was set in NYC. She would probably have used a softer voice if she'd been Debra.

Honored Contributor

You are right pa. That makes sense. I don't know why that didn't enter my brain.

Well, I think I know why. Because I was thinking about Fran Dresser. Remember, her natural voice is weird. That's what I was thinking about.

What you said makes sense.

Super Contributor

The twins on the pilot show are not the same babies that were eventually the main actors on the program. They also had different names. (The first set of twins on the first show had the same names as Raymond's real life twins).

The second set of babies who grew up on the show were actually the real life brothers of the little girl "Ally". I don't know why they changed the twins or their names.

Also, Robert, Raymond's brother is a tribute to Ray's real life brother Robert who is also a police officer. I'm pretty sure I saw Ray say this on a Letterman program many years ago.

I have a few favorite episodes. High on the list is "Tasteless Frank" when Frank losses his sense of taste and "Sister-In-Law" when Ray criticizes Amy and hurts her feelings. I also like the two part episode of Robert and Amy's wedding. I think they did an excellent job on the finale, too. This sitcom still makes me laugh out loud.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh is this the episode with the Fruit of the Month Club? I laughed so hard when Marie was explaining to Raymond why she hated his gift of fruit! (We can buy our own fruit!!)

I agree that Debra turned into a mean witch, just as Carrie did on King of Queens. They were always a little sharp-edged when it came to their husbands, but by the end of their series, they were downright nasty. I got really turned off by that.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

Oh, and I also love watching Robert and Amy dance!!

Super Contributor

Robert and Amy's wedding dance is one of my favorites. There is also a great scene at the end of the episode ""Snow Day"" where both couples dance. It is both hilarious and well done.

I like the subplot about the fruit of the month gift too. It's introduced early in the sitcom and mentioned now and then throughout the series.

I agree that Debra became a shrew later in the series. But I heard Ray Ramone mention more than once that he and the other writers (friends of his) get their ideas from their own marriages and home lives. Many of the episodes were based on real life.

Ray has jokingly admitted that he's henpecked and his wife is mean.

Trusted Contributor

I like Everbody loves Raymond and the King of Queens. Both wives were harpy but then again the show portrayed the husbands as lazy morons. No wonder the women were cranky! I could never (ever, ever) live that close to my in-laws!!
Honored Contributor

Oh I can never get enough of "Everybody Loves Raymond"!! I can repeat the dialog of every show I have watched the episodes so much! Yes, I've heard also that a lot of the storylines were based on true life. In the pilot the twins were also named after his real life twins. When the series was picked up he thought it was kind-of weird to name all the sitcom kids after his kids. So he just kept Allys name (his real daughters name) and changed the twins names. Later in the series it was funny that he had his daughter play Molly (Peggys daughter) as Allys best friend. Rays read dad was also in some of the lodge episodes. Great series!

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

Ray Romano was on a talk show a while back, and said that his wife gets angry with him for taking their true stories and turning them into comedies.

He said he told her to go cry in a bag of money! Hahahahahahaha