Honored Contributor

Ed Sheeran won the copyright law suit against him.

Honored Contributor

Good. It didn't sound alike to me at all....Just strange though that this has happened to him several times before???  

Respected Contributor

Listening to the radio in the car this morning.  A radio station was discussing the copyright law suit.  They would play the orginal song and then Ed Sheeran's version and the radio hosts thought it sounded very similar.  I have to admit, I do too.  But I'm glad he won.

Trusted Contributor

I don't think they sound alike.  Except both are alittle bit "ballad speed".  I hear lots of similar sounding tunes.  And I think it's a farce to think a specific tune has been taken from another songwriter.   Unless it was written by Burt Bacharach.

Valued Contributor

I saw an expert on tv last week who detailed all the reasons why he should have won and played examples on the guitar.  It's all about a specific chord sequence that is in many, many songs.  I could never explain it, but it was very clear that this suit should not have been brought, so I'm glad the jury found as it did.

Respected Contributor

I couldn't detect any real similarities either, but I'm no musicologist.  I think that a lot of popular songs do, however, sound alike to my ear.

I believe the concept that there are only so many notes and there are finite ways in which they can be combined. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sunsetbeach wrote:

I saw an expert on tv last week who detailed all the reasons why he should have won and played examples on the guitar.  It's all about a specific chord sequence that is in many, many songs.  I could never explain it, but it was very clear that this suit should not have been brought, so I'm glad the jury found as it did.

@sunsetbeach 

Sheeran's statement after the verdict said pretty much the same thing.  He referred to the building blocks that are used to create music and said that there aren't an infinite number.  The same groups of chords get used over and over by everyone.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I found them slightly similar, but just one small section, not enough IMO to think it was copying.  I often hear songs that remind me of another song, but I wouldn't consider it copyright infringement.  Just last night I was in the kitchen cooking and I heard a tune coming from the adjoining room that sounded to me like the accompanyment to a song I'm singing on Sunday so I had to go see why the music I had been practicing to was playing.  Turned out it was a Gatlinburg commercial on TV.  

Trusted Contributor

This doesn't directly tie to original post but wondering if anyone else watched the Disney Documentary on Ed Sheeran.  It came out maybe 6 weeks ago and it is very good. It gives an inside look at him and his family.  He seems pretty grounded for a super star and surrounds himself with old friends. It shows his struggles when his best friend died and his wife dealing with cancer.  I would recommend the show if you are a fan.

Honored Contributor

I don't really know any of his songs or him, except what he looks like.  

I've heard the song played and know the song by MG and I couldn't say it was similar, but maybe I don't know what I'm looking for.

Funny, I heard a song this week on the radio from decades ago *Stuck In The Middle With You* and I know there's a p Sheryl Crow song that has part that has a similar sound.....uh oh!!!