Respected Contributor

Re: Did Anyone Watch 20/20 Last Night?

@mousiegirl wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I remember this case very well, and watched last night except for the first twenty-five minutes. Downs should be on death row.

Interesting that the daughter she gave birth to while she was in jail also gave up one of her boys for adoption.  One would have thought that she wouldn't do that, knowing how that feels.

Farah Faucett did a wonderful job of portraying Downs,  she was much better looking than Downs, and I also read Ann Rule's book.

When a very young birthmorther has no means to support a child, or in her case, one more child, to allow an adoption into a loving home where the infant will be well cared for is the epitome of the deepest most unselfish love she can show her newborn child.  Bless all those birthmothers who put their own feelings aside for the sake of the babies.

Trusted Contributor

Small Sacrifices is the name of the book by Ann Rule and the movie with Farah ..... 

I think adoption can be a blessing and have its negative sides... having been a social worker I saw the children struggle to deal with their identities and the adoptive parents struggle with dealing with the adoptive child.  

Some times children have little perspective in dealing with what has been given to them.... and by the time they do.... the relationships they have with their adoptive families are really strained.  

A person who adopts a child needs to be "schooled" in how to deal with some of the situations.... and should have a professional to talk to or a support group of other adoptive parents for support  IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

I wish I would have seen this. I do remember the movie. Didn’t her daughter testify against her?  Imagine if all her children had been killed and there was no voice for what actually happened. Any story when you hear of a parent killing their children is too horrible. 

@Teddie   I haven't read the rest of this thread so forgive me if I duplicate anything.  If you have a cell phone and the ABC app, you can watch it on your phone.  I watch a ot of shows that way, when there are no repeats coming up.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong......

Honored Contributor

I watched it.  I kept thinking about the parents who adopted the girl.

I felt sorry for them.  It sounded like they gave that girl a good life.

I saw something similar (though not murder) in my late husband's family.  The children were adopted by wonderful people and they STILL ended up in trouble with the law.

It was a nightmare for the adopted family.  These two girls drove the adoptive family crazy and the amount of money spent on lawyers, etc was atrocious.

Eventually, they reached an age (early 20's) where the adoptive family finally cut the cord and stopped paying for lawyers, etc.

A terrible situation all around.  I found it interesting that the other 2 children wanted no part of this show.  Can't say as I blame them.

Honored Contributor

I assume the people who posted on this thread watched it:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/TV-and-Movies/Watching-20-20/m-p/5349451#M332025

Trusted Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

@Teddie wrote:

I wish I would have seen this. I do remember the movie. Didn’t her daughter testify against her?  Imagine if all her children had been killed and there was no voice for what actually happened. Any story when you hear of a parent killing their children is too horrible. 

@Teddie   I haven't read the rest of this thread so forgive me if I duplicate anything.  If you have a cell phone and the ABC app, you can watch it on your phone.  I watch a ot of shows that way, when there are no repeats coming up.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong......

@sophiamarie  Thank you for telling me that. I will look into it.