Honored Contributor

Re: Cutting the cable TV cord

@HiLo wrote:

A friend was doing some yardwork for me a few years ago f and I mentioned that I hated the cable wire that was hanging down the front of the house.    He immediately cut it himself, with whatever clippers he was working with at the time.  

@HiLo   I'm glad you cut the cable - literally!  Presumably, the wire wasn't live at the time.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 , I have RCN, also. When they raised my rates a few months ago and I called I got the "loyal customer" discount of $15.00 I've been with them 23 years at this location and 6 years in another. I know a lot of us yell about the rates for cable, but almost half is taxes and silly fees. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am very set in my ways and I hate change, I am happy to keep Comcast, I know how to use it and that works for me.. Trying something new now would scare me to death.  I need to know that when I am ready to watch something or get online that it is there for me and I dont have issues. Security may be costing me here but I dont care, I dont treat myself to too many other luxuries. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
  • @Shelbelle     Same here -- but it's Spectrum. Trying to tally how much it'd cost to replace by other providers and it ends up being very close in price. At least for now.
Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ   I have been a COX customer for over 20 years.  Every year it was aggravation and misery dealing with their "retention" crew.  Somehow, whatever we worked out on those once a year "sessions" always ended up going up during the course of the year.

This year, everything changed.  Their entire pricing structure and offerings changed FOR THE BETTER!!

No hassles.  Because of my "loyalty" I was offered a 2 YR DEAL for $7.00 LESS than I was paying and they threw in HBO and the Cooking Channel (they offered one channel of my choice that wasn't in my original package).

I also get Internet service.

I am VERY SATISFIED with Cox!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dropped cable a few years ago when costs rose too high. Now subscribe to a few streaming services like Acorn, Prime, etc. Total cost still much less than cable. And I like all I'm paying for, where most of what was on cable was stuff I didn't want. I don't need a DVR, because everything is available at any time.

There are no technical difficulties at all. Anything I can see on my computer, I can also watch on my TV set. Or my tablet. Or even my phone. I've actually kind of stopped using my actual TV for the most part, because I find it more complicated to fiddle with. 

I can't get local stations with an antenna, so I've learned to do without. I have a couple of digital subscriptions to newspapers, I listen to news on podcasts, and I donate to my local public television station, and get extended access to their programs.

I guess the series on the major networks tend to show up at some point on Netflix or somewhere...but I no longer know about them. For a while I toyed with the idea of Sling or one of those services, but it feels like a step backward in a way. I have more good programming than I can watch as it is.

What I do wouldn't work for everyone, of course, but it's great for me.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Get a simple interior antenna for all local station.  I paid $12 for mine on Amazon.  It just screws into the back of the TV where the cable went.  You need one for each TV. 

@Kachina624   So glad you stated that (red bolded) because in doing antenna research, not one retailer that sells antennas mentions that!  No matter which antenna you buy, you MUST purchase one for EACH tv you have if you cut the cable.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Get a simple interior antenna for all local station.  I paid $12 for mine on Amazon.  It just screws into the back of the TV where the cable went.  You need one for each TV. 

@Kachina624   So glad you stated that (red bolded) because in doing antenna research, not one retailer that sells antennas mentions that!  No matter which antenna you buy, you MUST purchase one for EACH tv you have if you cut the cable.

Depends on reception what channels you will get.  And you will have much less to choose from, but at least you should get something.

Honored Contributor

Cut the cord in 2015, read tons of books, pulled out my old VCR and tapes along with the DVD's.  Only this past December did I get an antenna for local channels.  Otherwise television was not a big deal in my life.  No streaming or anything like that.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ   I have been a COX customer for over 20 years.  Every year it was aggravation and misery dealing with their "retention" crew.  Somehow, whatever we worked out on those once a year "sessions" always ended up going up during the course of the year.

This year, everything changed.  Their entire pricing structure and offerings changed FOR THE BETTER!!

No hassles.  Because of my "loyalty" I was offered a 2 YR DEAL for $7.00 LESS than I was paying and they threw in HBO and the Cooking Channel (they offered one channel of my choice that wasn't in my original package).

I also get Internet service.

I am VERY SATISFIED with Cox!

@pdlinda  This was the first year cable ever gave us a discount. We called every year for the past five or more years and threatened to drop them. Their answer'Go ahead'. Never gave discounts. Now that cable is fading into the background with all the new ways to watch tv, cable is panicked and giving good discounts. At least ours is for a change.