Honored Contributor

Re: Cutting the cable TV cord

@Shelbelle wrote:

My plan with Comcast includes my cable TV, land line and internet, I have no plans to get rid of it. all of my TV's now are very old, and I need the cable boxes to have them work. My plan also includes free Netflix, Peacock. 

@Shelbelle  We have the same but with Optimum. Paid over two hundred for years and never gave a discount when called and complained. Husband called last month and they took one hundred dollars off our bill for one year. We were shocked. I guess they are getting desperate.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PilatesLover We have Xfinity for our internet provider.  We had been through several cable companies (Direct TV and Comcast) and finally just cut the cord when we got tired of 2 bills and increasing rates.  We would try calling and threatening to leave they never lowered the price.  So, my husband researched just using Xfinity and we went with it.

With Xfinity we can stream all the stations we had before (including locat stations).  We have smart TVs so we had access to stuff already then he added the Amazon stick and a jaill break device (although he found out they basically gave him what he already had lol).  We have plenty to watch (again most programming is the same now anyway).  All the channels are there (TCM, Discovery, Animal Planet, TLC etc).  It did cut our bill down.  My internet didn't go through the roof.  I can stream it from my Fire tablet, Iphone, laptop etc. 

I know there are some that are afraid of any possible "techology" learning involved and stick with their cable since like a land line, it's just what they are used to.  It's like anything else, it really isn't that difficult once you do it and we really have never had an issue at all.   I  was surprised at how easy it is.  And only having one bill to pay is much nicer (our cable provider was always different).  And yes multiple people can stream on other devices without slowing it down (at least ours doesn't).  I usually just use my fire tablet while he watches the tv since I alternate reading with watching something and use my bluetooth hearing aids to listen.  Oh and yes I can schedule recording of any show/movie/or entire tv series I want then delete when I'm done.  So I still have use of a "DVR".  

Honored Contributor

Yes, to what the other said: Use an HD antenna for local and over-the-air channels.  Use Roku (or similar device) for streaming channels.  You can easily switch back and forth between the two.  Good luck and come back here if you have further questions.

(There might be a Sling package that includes local channels.  You might want to look into it, but I would just go with the antenna.) 

Respected Contributor

Try Hulu Live, I think you'll be able to get a couple local channels in your area with them.

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

I keep the very minimum cable plan with Uverse, I also use them for internet.

Every year or so I call and beg for a loyal customer discount, right now it's $60 a month.   We only have Uverse on 2 TVs.    All the TVs in the house are smart TVs so there are plenty of options other than cable.    We "borrow" netflix.    I've made the most of free streaming services, we don't buy anything.

@software Very smart!

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

I apologize in advance, I'm sure this question has been asked umpteen times.  But my cable provider jacked up our rates so ridiculously, it's time to move on.

We already have a Roku stick.  So far I've looked at DirectTV streaming and Sling, and Sling seems less costly.  The problem is, we don't want to lose our local stations.

I also need to figure out the internet thing.  We don't have many choices here.

How did you cut the cord in your home? 

@PilatesLover  December will be 4 years since we cut the cord and I'm not mad about it and neither is my wallet.  We use an indoor antenna and get more channels than we need or want.  I was tired of the same song and dance every year when they raised our rates. We would call for a discount and they would lower it a few bucks but then the last time I called, they wouldn't budge.  So I guess they thought they were calling my bluff when I said then I want to cancel.  Even when I had to turn in my equipment to the cable company store, the clerk said that I Will Be Back....but he was wrong.  They still send us mail to try to entice us.

We don't sit glued to the TV anyway as we have other things going on.  I will admit, we are more like The Flintstones than The Jetsons.  Don't get me wrong, we have plenty of electronics and things, but you won't catch us in the long, camp out overnight, snake around the building line, to buy the latest cell phone.  We buy what we want, when we want.  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover   In case you need more information, go to the Electronic Forum and search for "cutting the cord". 

I've been gone from satellite for 4 years and have tried several streaming services.  The one I vastly prefer is YouTubeTV, which costs me about $69./mo.  They have the Smithsonian Channel, which I'd wanted but didn't have, for years.

Get a simple interior antenna for all local station.  I paid $12 for mine on Amazon.  It just screws into the back of the TV where the cable went.  You need one for each TV. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A friend was doing some yardwork for me a few years ago f and I mentioned that I hated the cable wire that was hanging down the front of the house.    He immediately cut it himself, with whatever clippers he was working with at the time.  I have always preferred Direct TV than any of the cable choices because the picture is so much clearer. 

Esteemed Contributor

Like others have stated. i cut the cord over 4 years ago, and have never looked back. I have more stations/choices that are possible to view. My services break down in the following manner.

Frontier (Internet Provider) $71.00

Amazon $120.00 Yearly fee.

Netflix $8.99

Hulu $5.99 (With Ads)

Sling TV $35.00 (50 hours of DVR included)

Sling TV has several of my location stations as well. 

That's a total of $50.00. I had been a member of Direct TV, since they had first started many years ago. Constant price increases and splitting up of channels.

I do not count my Internet Service when I am computing dollars spent, since I had to have that in addition to my Direct TV, nor do I count Amazon Prime, because Amazon is my spirit animal and I have prime for all of my orders and delivery. 

I have a ROKU 55 inch TV in my living room, so I also receive all of that content for free. There are a lot of stations that you can download for free that are no charge.

In my bedroom I use the Fire Stick for my TV, also plenty of stations that you can download that are free. Pluto,  IMDB TV and much more. 

Like I said I have not looked back. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@PilatesLover   In case you need more information, go to the Electronic Forum and search for "cutting the cord". 

I've been gone from satellite for 4 years and have tried several streaming services.  The one I vastly prefer is YouTubeTV, which costs me about $69./mo.  They have the Smithsonian Channel, which I'd wanted but didn't have, for years.

Get a simple interior antenna for all local station.  I paid $12 for mine on Amazon.  It just screws into the back of the TV where the cable went.  You need one for each TV. 

@Kachina624 

I have a girlfriend who also cut cable about two years back. Her and her husband really enjoy YouTubeTV.