Honored Contributor

CICELY TYSON, PAUL WINFIELD, "SOUNDER" SUNDAY 3:30 P.M. EASTERN

3:30 p.m. Eastern--  "Sounder"     A last-minute Mother's Day treat for the entire family.

This truly sterling study of family unity and love under great duress, yields riches with every viewing.   Cicely Tyson's portrait of a struggling wife and mother in the sharecropping South is luminous and timeless. 

There's no sentimentality in this performance, just truth and a radiant simplicity.  No one who ever saw it forgets her astonished, ecstatic run across fields to greet her now-crippled husband (Paul Winfield, in an equally insightful performance) who has walked home all the way from prison...  

Everything about this film is top quality, from the musical score, to the cinematography revealing the natural beauties of the bucolic Deep South, to the lean script and perfect casting.   Inspirational.

And at 5:30 p.m. Eastern, another Mother's Day classic, the lovingly nostalgic "I Remember Mama", with Irene Dunne, Barbara Bel Geddes and Oscar Homolka.   Another one you can't watch without crying, but also in a good way!

Respected Contributor

Re: CICELY TYSON, PAUL WINFIELD, "SOUNDER" SUNDAY 3:30 P.M. EASTERN

What a great movie.  Thanks for the "heads up," @Oznell ! 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

@Oznell Thanks for the reminder and we do plan on watching it.

Honored Contributor

Sounder is one of those movies which is inspiring and leaves an impact.  Paul Winfield and Cicely Tyson are powerful in there roles, it is an all around worthwhile movie!

Your description, Oznell, says it all!

I always enjoy I Remember Mama and have watched it many times.  I loved the tv series when I was young and yes, tears of joy!  I remember it well.