Honored Contributor

Re: Brad Pitt, "A River Runs Through It" TCM Saturday

@culebra, fabulous!  Thanks for adding to our enjoyment of the book and film.

Honored Contributor

I was thinking more about your thoughtful comment @I like celery, about how there are lots of working actors who don't necessarily have high profile careers, but achieve a certain level of success.

I've thought along those lines myself, and some actors that, based on their talent, I would have thought would just take off, and they didn't.  If you see Blythe Danner in some of her earliest film outings, she is radiant and had a special quality, but never attained the "success" of her daughter Gwyneth Paltrow.  (I think she had more to offer than Gwyneth, personally.)

Same with quirky, explosively talented actors like Anthony LaPaglia, and Jamey Sheridan, which are other examples that always come to my mind...    I'm going to hope that they all, along with Craig Sheffer, might be quite content with what they have achieved.  Which isn't chopped liver!   They've all had mighty respectable careers, by any standard...

Thanks for an interesting discussion.

Regular Contributor

@Oznell I did watch this and again, I thank you for the heads-up.

I am a lot older and in a very different place in life than I was when I first saw this movie.  The movie didn't lose any of its power, IMO, but my perception changed slightly.  Paul's fate was always sad, but the older me sees a real tragedy in a fate like that for a young person.  At that age, I throught it was kinda romantic.  Wrong.  I'm gonna retire in a few years.  I don't plan on pushing up daisies anytime soon, but I realize the bulk of my life is behind me and I realize how bloody quickly it has gone.  Paul Maclean (or I should spell it MacLean) never got that chance.  

Honored Contributor

So true, @Maloyo!  I love your comments and agree that it is fascinating to process how one's perspective on any given film can "evolve" with time!  

Ha, I do think the Reverend Maclean would insist on the lower-case "l",  lest they be suspected of being Lowland Scots....(horrors).

Trusted Contributor

Saw Legends of the Falls and if you liked A River Runs Through It you must see the "Legend" movie as that is so good and you will enjoy it.  Of course, I enjnoy Brad Pitt's movies anyway but it is a very good movie.  

Respected Contributor

wrote:

I want to thank everyone who suggests movies that I have not seen. My recorder is getting full. Please remember to tell the time and channel so I can look it up on the west coast for it is different there. 

@halfpint1

did you get to watch it.   I show it is on demand on comcast.

go to networks tcm and you will see it.

Honored Contributor

Brad looked so good in that movie that I wanted to jump into the screen!  LOL   Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Watched it again and enjoyed it again.